Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Taught my son to feed rod in about 5 minutes.

I was teaching him tig aluminum for a school project, showed him 3 or 4 methods, he picked one he liked and started doing it.

Yes, it's that easy to learn.

The reason there aren't videos about it is because it's a no brainier - just do it.

All of the other aspects of tig are harder - you're focusing on the wrong thing.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

He might be focusing on the right thing, for him. He has carpal tunnel and we dont, well at least I don't. Did you see him shaking his torch in one of the videos by watching the brightness of the arc light flicker and flicker? Maybe this allows him to use his hand muscles in a way that at least minimizes the shaking in his filler rod hand?
    Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:07 pm

Ha the child comparison; I was waitin for it :)

Oscar called it and it's for the carpal tunnal. My hands and wrists work fine and I've been told I've got "Magic Hands" many times but there's just certain things I can't do very well and feeding rod is one. While I can actually do it by hand, I just can't do it for long.

As for shaking, that is somewhat common for me just not always. It's mostly when I'm hungry, had a lot of caffeine, or it's the day after a fun night with Jameson. They've also got me on Hydrocodone so I can walk around with 2nd degree burns on my feet and hand (NOT welding/hobby related). So yeah, EXTRA shaky lately ;)

That's why I haven't made a video demonstrating this thing after I've finally started welding. I'll be more functional next week since most of this other crap will be better and I won't need the meds.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Everlast PowerPro Multi-Process TIG/Stick/Plasma 256Si
Everlast W300 WaterCooler
Optrel e684x1
22+ Year Security Engineer developing cool shit and stoppin hackers :)
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Ahhhhhh. Jameson. That's your problem. Irish whiskey. Only aliens can hack that stuff. (the REAL aliens I mean) I liked scotch but switched to 100 proof stuff later.

I don't know about the opioids but I could never have done TIG back when I was in training for AA. Two weeks after I stopped the hands steadied right up. 1 1/2 pints and beers the rest of the nite. Functional but unhealthy. I miss "checking out" now & then but just dont. No problem getting to sleep also.

That's just my experienc FWIW TWIMC.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.

But I am an alien :D I was drinking the night I took that video so yeah, not the best.... As for the hydrocodone, I have to split these things in half and it's only 5mg. I'm a light weight all around even with the Jameson these days and I know it plays a fair part in the shakiness especially if I have a weekend of fun. I try to never "check out" though, just a good feeling. I keep questioning why more and more though, and I drink less and less so maybe we're gettin somewhere but at least I stay home when I do vs. many years ago....
Either way I'll not hijack my own thread with my personal problems ;)
The carpal tunnal is still there though and will never go away. That's just the effect of 80-120 WPM typing, 16+ years IT Security Engineerin, and over 25 years just using computers.

Still not one ounce of regret or question as to whether I should have made this tool or whether I should continue to use it or not :D Still can't wait for Rick n Nelson's thoughts after playin with this!
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Well I've used both claws LH and RH for a few weeks on various joints. I'll be honest at first it was very awkward for me, I researched the videos a few times to see how the "user" actually used it. I found I couldn't get as close to my work piece as I was use to and the angle was a little different so it took some time to get use to. While this may not be ideal for most people, it worked smoothly and if you have a hand issue I could see this aiding you in feeding the puddle. I'd make it a little smaller to allow you to manipulate the angles quicker. I found it was better for me on an ungloved hand, the glove restricted my movement even further.

All in all I applaud the inventor for.making some to help him with his hand issue, of it helps him it's all good. I'm letting a new Tig user try it now for some newbie feedback.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Hey Rick! That's awesome and thank you very much for taking the time to give a very honest opinion! That's cool you passed em on too :)
I'm curious as to how your n00b finds it useful now....
I'm imagining you're thinking the sizing issue is more relative to the length from the back of the finger cover section all the way to the front of the claw where the rod would stick out? Basically the X Axis of the model?
I'm about to do the re-design and add the V-Blocks instead of cylindrical cuts as Sandow (not you despite me constantly giving you credit for that thought :P ) suggested so I might try to incorporate your thoughts on it too. I kinda like the distance but have felt being a bit closer would be better and put me in a more comfortable position.

After using this for the last month with real TIG welding, I still use it often. I found if I'm doing a 1" quick lil run, I don't always since you're not really feeding anything as is, you're just dabbing. That is the one thing I didn't really understand when I designed this, but even then you can dab with this too.

So with all the steel work I've done it's just been a "handy" (har har) tool for me since I haven't welded anything more than 1.5". I can just hold the rod and dab and get about the same results though. As for all the aluminum (AL) work I've done (just practice no part yet) it has been very helpful. AL requires so much filler and often enough the puddle can never seem to be satisfied. Regardless, AL takes a lot more filler than steel and it's a general requirement since autogenous welding is not often a success story with AL (per my education).
You need fluid movements, to keep the puddle fluid and manageable, and you just need to be fluid with your movements to have good results no matter what since every little fail shows. So for AL the claw does make my life easier and I can feed as much rod as fast as I want with little effort. The only real effort is moving the thumb forward and back to lift off the rod then to push the rod forward while letting the rest of the fingers mostly relax. So I only ever planned to do AL when I designed this, AL is where I started, and as it was then as it is now, my TIG Monster Claw is AWESOME (to me) and VERY functional!

Now that I finally built something useful (HF Portaband Saw Stand with On/Off Cable Tension Mechanism) and am about to start more focus on AL, I'll do a video with AL since it'll show what I made it for better than say steel since steel requires a lot less filler i.e. less feeding action vs. AL. I just placed a fairly large order (for a hobbyist) of AL and even some Stainless Steel :D so I should be able to do something soon.
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

EU...I have a design for a rod feeding device that I have been sitting on for a long time. Could easily be 3-d printed. My friend is a boilermaker and I showed it to him and he said I should manufacture and sell them. He thought it was a great idea.
I don't think they would be a big hit so I have kept quiet about it. If I knew what others thought, I would proceed but I don't want to "tip my hand" and see it on the market from someone else in 6 months. Feedback?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Hey Nailer! If you read the comments here you can see the concept was generally illy accepted ;) The plus side is most of the negative feedback came from those that haven't tried it and one from one person that tried but it didn't fit.

It's not an all in wonder tool of course and has some development to go.

The only way to really earn cash would be to use something like thingiverse and the creative commons license options they have their to help protect you. Of course you could go full patent route but it usually takes a few years without some bribes and generally is not cheap. Since it's a tool I'd imagine the patent time would be a bit longer than say patenting a chemical process since tools have to be evaluated by function, appearance, and over all design whereas chemicals is just proportions of ingredients perhaps with processing procedures. Hobart 4943 Anyone :D The creative commons license has a lot of power even and with the options thingiverse gives, it would certainly protect you. Now will it hold up in court? That's a grey area but it still holds some weight and you'd clearly have some timestamp history to suggest you were the original designer.

As for this tool and the other security tools I've created, I've only had one patent filing for one of the security suites/concepts I created but I went for a royalty free patent so anyone could use it, but no one could say they made it. So there are patent options as well that determine how you're protected. In that situation I needed the company I worked for to file it since they have the finances to file and they're priority for the patent office to proceed would be greater than mine alone. Still I'm the sole inventor :D

Now if you're asking for someone to help you with the 3d Printing to turn out your design, help you with some parameters for print settings, etc. then I can definitely help there. I work in IT Security and that's what I live and breathe 8+ hours a day 5+ days a week so you can assure I'd respect any NDA without the need for an NDA :) You're also awesome and this would be one way I could return the favor ;)
Lincoln Electric AC225
Optrel e684x1
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I'm pretty computer illiterate so I don't know how I would get you anything to use for 3-d printing but the more I think about it, it would be better to be made of metal like my prototype. I have been watching this thread and reading the feedback so I am of the belief that any rod feeding aid would be taken as a novelty because true craftsmen tiggers want to feed rod the old fashioned way but maybe hobbyists might go for it.
You don't owe me anything bro...we are here to help and we are glad that Jody lets us help new guys. We were all new once. In another life, I was a skilled tigger and then that chapter of my life closed for me and when I decided to get back in the saddle, plenty of guys around here were more than willing to answer any questions I had and I was back and better than ever in no time at all. The cool part is that once you get to know the guys around here, you can PM them and they will help you even further. We have some world class welders around here and the best part is there is no snobbery.
Let me think this rod feeder thing over awhile and I'll get back with you with my thoughts. I busted my ass all day and it's beerthirty :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.