Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MadisonRods
    Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:29 pm

As the title describes, I am welding 304 Stainless .065 tubing with back purge. My question is how to control the distortion (low areas) on each side of the weld. This particular customer requests that I sand the weld smooth for polishing. That creates problems with the low areas.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the forums
Can you provide more info? Such as are you using filler and what is the amperage. Honestly you shouldn't be getting "low" areas, so it sounds as though your not using filler. Post a photo if possible
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I just did some .065 SS tubing and I pulsed it but your post is a bit confusing...can you elaborate?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I'll assume no filler, full pen since you are back purging. I use 45-48amps straight, 1/16" tung, large cup and gas lens. I also pulse 2.5pps 50% on 50% 55-58amps 1/16" ting gas lens large cup.

Here one polished with an ultra fine scotchbrite belt
Attachments
IMG_20160814_195522.jpg
IMG_20160814_195522.jpg (30.48 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
MadisonRods

Thanks for the help. I will get a couple of pictures up to help describe my issues.
MadisonRods

This is pretty typical of what I am getting. Usually one side will sand down fine. Filler is 308/035 @ 40 amps
Attachments
IMG_1234.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG (39.17 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
IMG_1230.JPG
IMG_1230.JPG (35.71 KiB) Viewed 1247 times
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I see what's going on. Mainly because I'm guilty of making the same mistakes :lol:

You're not lining up the tubes axially. One tube is off to one side by a few thousandths. It's not distortion that is causing low areas---the tube itself is low to begin with, on that side.. I've drawn a red line to illustrate:

The solution? Either continue grinding that area carefully until it appears properly blended. The right thing would be to get a better fit-up so they are dead-on axially.
Rick_H

I see the same thing as Oscar, alignment and fit up is key. Is what I showed above not acceptable? If not you could sand that area down and feather it out, I have a specific machine that wraps belts around tube, makes life easier.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
Rick_H

What did you end doing?
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
MadisonRods

Better alignment seems to be my problem. I have started to take a considerable amount of time up front making sure my fitment is the best it can be. I would say 90-95% of my problems have disappeared. Thanks to everybody that took the time to reply to my post!
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

MadisonRods wrote:Better alignment seems to be my problem. I have started to take a considerable amount of time up front making sure my fitment is the best it can be. I would say 90-95% of my problems have disappeared. Thanks to everybody that took the time to reply to my post!

Fade out to stop those craters, which are crack generators and can be tight leakers.