Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
outsider347
    Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:10 pm

New to Tig, Soon to purchase my first Tig welding machine.
As discussed in another thread here, it will probably be the Lincoln SW Tig 200.
I'd like to pre- purchase (from WM store) some of the essential/useful/ make life easier, items that you guys feel I will need, ....like tig fingers, better gas lenses, maybe a better lighter torch . anything else?

Please provide a good description on part number so I get the correct item

Thanks for your response
ed
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

2% lanthanated tungsten. Weldmonger doesn't sell torches any more, I know because I tried to get one there. Stubby gas lense kit if you don't have a #9 or #20 style torch. Those two torches are already stubby and don't need the kit. #9 torches suck anyway.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Depending on what you plan to weld perhaps grab some ER70S2 or S6 filler, and some 4043 or 5356 aluminium too.

Kym
outsider347

making a list for my gift givers
tks

Grab some acetone, too.

Not sure it makes a great gift, but it's great for cleaning metal! Also some flap discs or sanding discs to remove mill scale prior to welding. Clamps are handy, too, as well as a good square - the broad based square that Jody sells through his online store is gold.

Kym
outsider347

MosquitoMoto wrote:Grab some acetone, too.

Not sure it makes a great gift, but it's great for cleaning metal! Also some flap discs or sanding discs to remove mill scale prior to welding. Clamps are handy, too, as well as a good square - the broad based square that Jody sells through his online store is gold.

Kym

I'm in pretty good shape with basic tools. Been mig & gas welding for 10 yrs now
The Tig unique stuff is where I need the guidance

The store sells several lens kits Any suggestion?

Any torch head replacement suggestions?

outsider347 wrote:
MosquitoMoto wrote:Grab some acetone, too.

Kym

I'm in pretty good shape with basic tools. Been mig & gas welding for 10 yrs now
The Tig unique stuff is where I need the guidance

The store sells several lens kits Any suggestion?

Any torch head replacement suggestions?
Ah, I see. I imagine you're in great shape for most of the basics then.

All of this is quite subjective but the gas lens I personally find most useful is a generic stubby that fits my 17 and 26 torches. It takes a 2.4mm electrode. Very versatile. I also prefer a flex head on the torch.

Kym
outsider347

Kym
where did you purchase your flex head torch?

outsider347 wrote:Kym
where did you purchase your flex head torch?

I'm in Australia and buy pretty much everything online, often via eBay.

Experience has taught me that my local welding stores have little in the way of stock (or knowledge!) and often sell exactly the same parts at a higher price, so I'm happy to go online and pay $12 shipped for the same torch head that the stores are asking $60 for.

Kym
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

Hey Kym,
Prices and selection on welding supplies may suck in the land of Oz but the women are AWESOME!
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT