Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
LIGOOMBA
    Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Any tips on inside corner joint welds on aluminum ? Just trying to improve my welding .I have a Miller syncro 180 at home so it's a 60 hz machine .090 aluminum , 5356 3/32 filler Rod.settings are as follows , 95 amps 3/32 2% lanthinated tungsten #6 gas lens cup with a water cooled torch .,15 CFH argon .
Now at work I can use a dynasty 200 or 350 , (same set up)and am very spoiled so I cheat a bit and play with the balance and frequency and get a bit better weld.I practice on aluminum so I can control the puddle better . Any tips ? I want to try and achive a flatter bead as well.
Louie ("aka"Long Island Goomba)
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A "flatter" bead can be accomplished in a number of ways: less filler rod, travel further between dips, different AC balance, smaller wire, burning in longer before travel, etc...

From your description, it sounds like your amps are low and rod is thick. You might experiment with higher amps using the 3/32 wire. If that doesn't yield the results you seek, drop to a 1/16" rod and try again. Its been my experience that welding aluminum settings are pretty unique to each welder, and to each machine. A buddy and I just tag teamed welding up an aluminum boat using my Dynasty. He ran great looking welds on 60Hz, Balance of 60, and 170 amps with a 3/32. I used 150 amps, Balance of 60, but 150Hz. Might be his skill or his technique, but I found playing with the settings mattered more for my technique.

Maybe I'm wrong... :?
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:44 am

When I'm trying for a nice flat bead that also blends in nicely on the toes, I work the pedal a little more aggressively. I'll start my puddle and feed enough rod to get the puddle width I want, then I back off a little on the pedal as I move forward. I make sure I can see the leading edge of the puddle is wetting in and not bridging, and then I give it some gas just as I start to feed wire. This gets the puddle to flow out flat. Then I back off a bit and move forward and do it again. Gives a nice bead appearance I think. Have fun with it!