Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mh5842
    Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 pm

I'm trying to learn how to use the TIG weld process of my Power Mig 350MP however the documentation for TIG welding for this welder seems to be very limited. I have all the equipment connected correctly and I set the welder to mode 3. I'm using the Foot Amptrol which is optional. I have to rotate Volts/Trim Control clockwise until it displays "ON". The shielding gas does not start to flow until I strike an ark. The problem I've notice is that once the gas starts to flow it doesn't stop flowing until I walk over to the welder and rotate the Volts/Trim Control counter-clockwise which is a pain. This seems very wasteful not to mention that getting the supplies I need can be difficult because all the welding supply stores are closed on the weekend.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

......and what does the owners manual say about pre and post flow time adjustment for a TIG setup?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

cj737 wrote:Look at page B5 on the attached:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... m10105.pdf
Reading further to the bottom of B13, it suggests you only need to rotate volts/trim to power up the TIG torch if you aren't using a remote torch switch, which is built in to your pedal. If you've turned it on with volts/trim, once you strike an arc the gas will flow continuously until you turn it off at volts/trim. You "should" be able to leave volts/trim turned down, press and hold the pedal (any amount past "zero") to make the torch live, and touch off like before to start the arc and gas. Gas then should shut off when you completely release the pedal (plus any postflow time).

(If I'm interpreting it correctly.)

If this doesn't help, I may be able to put you in touch with a couple people who have (or have experience with) Lincoln MP machines.

Steve S
mh5842
    Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. The issue is resolved. It appears that the remote control receptacle for the foot amptrol wasn't completely all the way in. It's the first time I have attempted to use this equipment with the welder and I found that if I kept wiggling it that would allow me to continue to tight it. When I turned the welder back on and depressed the peddle gas flow would start and when I left off it would stop as I would have expected it to do so all is good now.