Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

being that i'm no longer young, my once 20/20 vision is just a memory so i've been using the random Rite-Aid/CVS (pick your local chain pharmacy) $20 cheap glasses to weld (and read) with... unfortunately, the max 'magnification' they sell is a 2.75, which is never enough to weld with. Does anyone know of other cheap(ish) non-prescription glasses to weld with that are much stronger? something in the 3.50 range would probably be great...
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Keep your current glasses and add a 2.5 cheater lense to your helmet. Available from your lws.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

The helmet inserts work good and they're pretty cheap, my problem is I also can't see far either. So if I just wear plain safety glasses with the helmet insert, I'm like Mr Magoo when I lift the helmet. I had my optometrist make a pair of what are called occupational lenses. They grind the lens to focus at the distance you specify. So if you take a few measurements of how far away from the work you like to keep your head, they can make the lenses focus at that distance. They can also make them as bifocals, so you can have one focal point really close (like 12") and the other focal point further away (like 20"), which is probably closer to a common welding position.
I love the pair I have. Bad news is they're pretty expensive, I think I paid a few hundred bucks. But they also allow me to see distance good enough when I lift the helmet that I can walk around without banging into things.
Geezers unite!
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welcome to the world of the visually challenged welder. Bifocals and special grinds can be a pain while welding. Do what most us old bastards do, one pair of coke bottle specs for welding and another pair for non welding vision if you need them. Get used to swapping them and keep it simple. Don't go cussing now, I found it doesn't help.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

I have a cheater lens in my helmet AND use my bifocals or reading glasses, man I feel old typing this.!
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Coldman wrote:Welcome to the world of the visually challenged welder. Bifocals and special grinds can be a pain while welding. Do what most us old bastards do, one pair of coke bottle specs for welding and another pair for non welding vision if you need them. Get used to swapping them and keep it simple. Don't go cussing now, I found it doesn't help.
Hey Coldie....they call these the golden years....my ass...life was golden when I was bangin everything with a pulse...we're gettin ripped off :lol:

Sent using Tapatalk
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

If you have a Dollar Tree store in your area, they have readers, and I've seen up to +3.75. Best thing, at $1,you can buy several and throw them out when they get scratched. I did this for about 10 years beginning age 30.

That said, I good eyeglass prescription will resolve more issues than you'd think. Your eyes will differ in their correction needs before the magnification of the bifocal part. An astigmatism will reduce the effectiveness of reading glasses, and you might need a different diopter for each eye to get the best vision.

My eye insurance is quite inexpensive, and I only pay $10 copay for my eye exam. My lenses can be covered %100 annually, sans options like transition lenses or progressive lenses (which I despise for welding). My frames are %100 percent covered every two years unless I upgrade, which did this year and paid an extra $25.

I highly recommend an eye exam for all welders because of how we rely on our vision (and can damage it), and anyone over 40 regardless of how good your vision is. Your eye doctor can diagnose some things your MD can miss.

Steve S