Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

Anyone here used an Aerowave?

I've had mine for a while and I gotta say, I really like it. I love the super stable low arc.
Lately, I've practiced on some 1/64th Ti metal (aircraft ID plates) and recorded the settings/parameters that seemingly worked for me.
Since I can't have a "preset" or anything like stored memory, I kept a notebook with the welder. Probably one of the best companion to have around.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone here has used 'em and their thoughts. I love mine and and wouldn't trade it for a dynasty 200dx.
Never used a 200DX but this Aero and I are seemingly getting along - why break up a good team? (just kidding)

Anyhow, Looking for some feedback from other Aero users.
Miller Aerowave
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Ive never even heard of one :) Can you post a link to some specs on it?
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
jason.hwnd

Eh, just google it. It's more machine than the average garage guy needs.

You'd find these in the Aerospace field a lot;
Miller Aerowave
jason.hwnd

Out with the old (syncrowave 250)

Aerowave

I've been using the WP-225 (bought all of the attachments) with a pryex/glass gas lens.
I gotta say, a flexhead with numerous amounts of attachments seemed like a good idea then 6 months later, noticed I only used two of them - I thought it was worthless.
...and wuda know, I was in a situation where I needed a straight / 0 degree torch head - whoa! I got one! ever since, I was sold.
I did have a CK230. The handle was too thick/large diameter. I might try it again but the lack of attachments (like the wp225) is keeping me back.

anyhow, thats my tig machine. might get a better photo later on;
Miller Aerowave
jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

On first glance, its features imply it's using inverter technology. But then, its 350 lb weight makes it seem as if it must be a transformer power source. Which is it? A TIG power soruce with an identity crisis? :)
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD6-0.pdf

Highlights from the spec sheet:
independently adjustable EP current and EN currents
adjustable A/C frequency (40Hz-400Hz)
high speed pulsing (up to 500 Hz)
no high frequency stabilization required in A/C mode
1 amp - 360 amp output
360 amp output @ 15% duty cycle (1- or 3-phase)
60% duty cycle rating at 200 amps (1-phase) or 300 amps (3-phase)
jason.hwnd

Almost, hybrid machine.. Still refereed to still the best aluminum welder.

I'd really need more experience on other machines to be able to give educated feedback. I can say for sure that does have a really stable arc at low amperage settings (5 and less).
Miller Aerowave