Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Stato
    Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

OK, so im welding some Corten steel as Garden edging.. I decided to buy a Inverter DC Arc/TIG. (im also kind of new to TIG)

So far I have been welding it with a Transformer ARC welder using hydrogen rod 2.5mm (i think it is a 6000 series.. i dont have one here to quote the number) (basically 2mm sheet welded onto 16mm Mild steel rod concreted in the ground)

So far i have only used the ARC where you wont see the weld at the back and be buried.

But, as this Corten is being used architecturally and will be seen and go rusty... "bare exposed application".... if i weld on the outside of the project (part to be seen) It may not match up or hold up similarly in the elements...... so i thought id get the TIG.... one for presentation... and 2 to hopefully get a better match...

One thing i wanted to know is, can i use a thin off cut of Corten steel as my filler rod? so just feed some Corten back into the pool? would that work?

If not what Filler rod should i use to match the Patina rust etc.. of the corten?

And on a side issue, so as not to create a new thread, what ARC welding rod would you recommend to match in with the Corten.

TBH, i have allready done a bit of googling in what Stick and filler Rod.. (i actually have to confirm exactly what weathering steel i have, as i just found out there is 3 grades) and i have a short list.

Best info sheet i found here...
[url]file:///C:/Users/Aaron/Downloads/weathering%20steel%20welding%20guide.pdf[/url]

But im still keen to hear any opinions and views on the subject of welding corten,
Thanks in advance.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I recently did some decorative fence panels and used 309 stainless TIG on the backside. Rust patina is never consistent, but I’d rather have my weld endure than rust (ER70x and 7018 will rust).
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Stato
    Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Thanks for the replys,
IT appears thaty 1%nickel rods are what you want to match patina.. at least on single pass. Dont take that %100 from me, do double check.