Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Mon May 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I am a weekend warrior hobbyist, having taken one lesson in late 2016. Started with a Lincoln 140HD, sold it, and now I have a 210MP. Now I am getting interested in getting a TIG machine (specifically the HTP Intertig 211, water cooled 240 V) and was wondering if TIG would be enough as the only welder around the house.

I love it and despite my limited experience, I am able to do the occasional projects around the house. To give you a sense of some projects I did:
- a workbench from 1-1/2" tube with a wood top;
- welding table with a Stronghand top
- frames for outdoors planters for my wife's herb garden

TIG might allow me to weld sheet metal and Aluminum, plus make more "presentable" welds. But will I still need the MIG machine?
HTP Invertig 221H w/ Arctic Chill cooler and CK20 torch
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Don't ever sell your machine. Tig and mig are really not interchangeable. You can get away with it sometimes, but there is much more of a case for having both welders
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I agree. I have the 210mp and a seperate 200 amp AC DC tig machine. There both used sometimes on different parts of the same projects.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The only reason to swap your 210MP is if you need to TIG aluminum. But you should be able to still weld Aluminum with a Spoolgun and your 210MP.

Having said that, if you are adamant about welding aluminum with TIG, then I’d definitely get an AC/DC TIG. TIG can replace MIG, plus with the TIG box you can also do Stick if you need to do some junkyard, or industrial welding where TaiG is not suited (like welding outdoors in the wind!). But if you can swing it, keep the 210 and add a TIG box. I have a few welding machines and don’t plan to sell any of them. They all have a place and time for their best purpose.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i'm much the same. i've been using both machines. did a bracket with mig yesterday, did a small bit of stainless tig this morning.
i would go for an ac/dc tig. that gives you aluminum as well.
you have stick mode with the MP as well so with two machines you have all options covered.

the HTP Intertig 221 sounds like a very good choice.
tweak it until it breaks
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I haven't used my MIG in over a year. It's been TIG all the way. I must say I'm in no hurry, or being paid to weld. So my TIG suits me fine.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I would not get rid of the mig. Wire feed is more appropriate than tig in many situations.

I've even run into cases where the TIG torch, filler wire, and my head can't all fit. But a mig gun or stick still allowed me visibility. Working down into a tight corner is one of those types of areas.

All processes have their uses in my opinion.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

MinnesotaDave wrote:I would not get rid of the mig. Wire feed is more appropriate than tig in many situations.

I've even run into cases where the TIG torch, filler wire, and my head can't all fit. But a mig gun or stick still allowed me visibility. Working down into a tight corner is one of those types of areas.

Agreed. Would never get rid of my MIG. But...If I had to choose one it would be my TIG.
Everlast 210 EXT

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

weldin mike 27 wrote:Don't ever sell your machine. Tig and mig are really not interchangeable. You can get away with it sometimes, but there is much more of a case for having both welders
what Mike said, I have a Lincoln tig 200, mig 180 and a Lincoln 225 AC, I use all three and am constantly on the lookout for another to add to the stable. I would suggest you keep what you have and add the HTP and I don't think you will ever regret it but if you do you can sell it then.

good luck.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!

tungstendipper wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:I would not get rid of the mig. Wire feed is more appropriate than tig in many situations.

Agreed. Would never get rid of my MIG. But...If I had to choose one it would be my TIG.
If someone made you choose one, you should slap them in the head instead :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

koenbro wrote:I am a weekend warrior hobbyist, having taken one lesson in late 2016. Started with a Lincoln 140HD, sold it, and now I have a 210MP. Now I am getting interested in getting a TIG machine (specifically the HTP Intertig 211, water cooled 240 V) and was wondering if TIG would be enough as the only welder around the house.

I love it and despite my limited experience, I am able to do the occasional projects around the house. To give you a sense of some projects I did:
- a workbench from 1-1/2" tube with a wood top;
- welding table with a Stronghand top
- frames for outdoors planters for my wife's herb garden

TIG might allow me to weld sheet metal and Aluminum, plus make more "presentable" welds. But will I still need the MIG machine?
A TIG welder will do stick too
Trying to do Mig and Tig does not work out

If most of your can be Done Tig that would good then buy a good Tig welder

Dave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I almost never use my TIG for projects as I don't weld a lot of Aluminum except for practice. Stick welding is by far my most favorite process, but don't do a lot of that either. For 99% of my projects and repairs, I use MIG. Its just faster and easier in most cases. I am not saying don't get the TIG, but don't give up the MIG
Multimatic 255

MinnesotaDave wrote:
tungstendipper wrote:

If someone made you choose one, you should slap them in the head instead :D
I'd have my wife do it.
Everlast 210 EXT

CJ737

Okay turns out that this is not as straightforward as I thought. So most likely will keep the MIG for now and then by the HTP Tig later in the year. Does anyone know when usaweld has their sales?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

The HTP 221 usually goes on sale for father's day and black friday. It's also a very capable stick welder.
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

3 years now in a working shop. Tig stick and cutting. Used 2 to 5 hours/week. No issues. $1400 new...my Everlast listed in my signature below. No sale waiting. If you're occasional why spend all the $? Definitely keep the mig.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.

The HTP seems to fit the saying “Buy the last tool first”.

I like Lincoln and initially I looked at their $1500 TIG but it seems like it has limitations and the HTP with its water cooling and multiple adjustments will probably be all I ever need. Even though some people called it off brand it seems to be a high-end, quality, European product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lincoln MP210 -- SOLD
Optrel Crystal 2.0

koenbro wrote:The HTP seems to fit the saying “Buy the last tool first”.

I like Lincoln and initially I looked at their $1500 TIG but it seems like it has limitations and the HTP with its water cooling and multiple adjustments will probably be all I ever need. Even though some people called it off brand it seems to be a high-end, quality, European product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That one isn't off brand to me - I'd have fun with one :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
nelson

$2500 for a weekend hobby machine. I've been there.

It's tig only, no stick or just no plasma cutter?

Mine? Tig several times a week. Very little stick or cutting (very little) stainless makes me feel like a hero, aluminum....not so much.but I know it's not the machine. Tungstendipper you got it right. Form form form.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.

nelson wrote:$2500 for a weekend hobby machine. I've been there.

It's tig only, no stick or just no plasma cutter?

Mine? Tig several times a week. Very little stick or cutting (very little) stainless makes me feel like a hero, aluminum....not so much.but I know it's not the machine. Tungstendipper you got it right. Form form form.
My first tig machine cost $225, is from 1963 and is 900 pounds of awesome :D
I still have it (my avatar). I brought it to school and use it for some of my tig demonstrations.
The few students that have stick welded or tig welded with it really like it too
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
nelson

HI Dave, I see you quoted me. Don't know why, except for your signature.

I'm a machinist and I like lifetime tools. Is HTP in that category? I've seen the red and blue but don't have a large data set. It's a bunch of money.

nelson wrote:HI Dave, I see you quoted me. Don't know why, except for your signature.

I'm a machinist and I like lifetime tools. Is HTP in that category? I've seen the red and blue but don't have a large data set. It's a bunch of money.
Personally I don't think any inverter welder is a lifetime tool. Just a fact of computer component shorter lifespan.

But I think the HTP welder is a very good choice. :)

Inverters in general are very nice, weld excellent, consume less power, and will die without being able to be fixed (in many/most cases).
That last fact has to be balanced in the equation in my humble opinion.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote: Inverters in general are very nice, weld excellent, consume less power, and will die without being able to be fixed (in many/most cases).
That last fact has to be balanced in the equation in my humble opinion.
They can always be fixed. Just comes down to finding the component(s) that went pop and replacing them. Usually is always just a cheap capacitor, resistor, or fuse that goes bad. Unless it's a proprietary chip, as long as you've got a magnifying glass, a soldering iron, and flashlight, it'll likely be a $10 or less repair.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
nelson

Thanks Dave,

I see your point. It may go back to my audio days....tube vs transistor amps.

Either way, does the box...HTP 221 have "kick and weld" or is it lift, or scratch.? I don't know too much about these things but there's a learning curve.

I do wish I had a decent mig though...bigger jobs would be easier.
Last edited by nelson on Sat May 26, 2018 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

nelson wrote: Either way, does the box...HTP 221 have "kick and weld" or is it lift, or scratch.?
I used a 221 for a few days in a class I took, I like it as well as anything else I've ever used. To answer your question it has HF start and other nifty features, such as independent current control on both sides of AC balance, a very wide balance range, and a wide pulse frequency range. Probably all things you don't need if you're just learning.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch