Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Ok so I have an everlast 325EXT with an everlast water cooler. I’ve had it for 8 months or so and I absolutely love it. It’s a lot more machine than I’m used to and I think when I’m welding aluminum I might have my settings a little off. I’ve used both gas lense and collet body and notice that the tungsten burns up and goes almost inside the cup no matter what thickness aluminum I’m welding. I’ve tried red, green, blue and I’m currently using grey tungsten. 1/8 and 3/32. Always clean the aluminum with a dedicated stainless brush and acetone. I don’t weld a lot of aluminum but plan to do more projects so I’d like to sort this out. I have it on the advanced square AC setting. Thanks for any input.

Settings
Amps 150-250
Up slope 10
Ac frequency 200
Ac balance 50
Down slope 0
25scfh argon flow
ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Burning up the Tungsten, is your gas flowing properly? Coupla times I forgot to turn gas on, I would melt away the Tungsten.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Your balance is too low. You probably want to run at 30% in your machine (I think the Everlast displays balance in reverse to my Dynasty, I run 70%).

Try that and see. If your tungsten is tearing apart and you do have gas flow, it’s usually a case of AC Balance.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Yes, CJ you are correct, Everlast are in reverse of my millers. 70% setting on your 325 would do it especially at higher amperage settings. Like the others mentioned, check your gas settings and your balance.
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225
Graveyard

ljdm1956 wrote:Burning up the Tungsten, is your gas flowing properly? Coupla times I forgot to turn gas on, I would melt away the Tungsten.
I have it set to 25scfh so doubt that’s it. #8 cup
Graveyard

cj737 wrote:Your balance is too low. You probably want to run at 30% in your machine (I think the Everlast displays balance in reverse to my Dynasty, I run 70%).

Try that and see. If your tungsten is tearing apart and you do have gas flow, it’s usually a case of AC Balance.
Ok great thank you I’ll start there.