Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Junior Welder
    Wed May 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Can someone give me some advice on what TIG welding stuff to buy? Do you need to have different size tungstens or can you just grind them differently?
Is there a big difference in consumable quality? Im not sure of the prices at the weld store but this seems like a pretty good deal: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/46pcs-TIG-Welde ... 41e1cbbd7d

I am using a Syncrowave 250 transformer with a #20 torch.

Thanks for your help!
I'm a 9th grade student teaching myself how to weld.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Miller Two Fifty Twin (Stick)
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

Try Jody's store!!! https://weldmongerstore.com
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For TIG, a gas lens kit (a quality one) is a huge help. That kit you referenced contains a lot more stuff than you may ever need. Personally, I have a #5, #6-#8, and a #12 cup. I use all 3 sizes of tungstens (1/16, 3/32, and 1/8) regularly, so you need gas lenses for all 3 sizes. The #5 doesn’t really need a gas lens, but a standard collet body works fine generally, but I use a lens anyways.

A decent pack of Lt Blue (2% lanthanated) tungstens will work well for DC and AC welding. A quality helmet, gloves, stainless brushes, and off you go- Being as you’re in CA, shipping from Jody’s store will cost more, but it’s worth it in the end to help sustain his business given his contribution to the welding community.
Junior Welder

tungstendipper wrote:Try Jody's store!!! https://weldmongerstore.com
I have looked at Jodys store and would like to support him but being that im only 16, I really need to look where I can get stuff cheap.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Junior Welder wrote:
I have looked at Jodys store and would like to support him but being that im only 16, I really need to look where I can get stuff cheap.
www.arc-zone.com is in California and they're fairly cheap, plus they also sell Jody's TIG Finger.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Check your local weld shop. Even if you spend a little more, your building a relationship that could save you a lot of $ down the road if this is something you like to do or want to make a career out of. Where I live we have several shops. If you check them all you will find that each one keeps lower prices on some items to draw people in. Each one usually does it on different items. If you only buy those discount items at the places that are the cheapest you might save lots of $. But that does cost time.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Junior Welder

Poland308 wrote:Check your local weld shop. Even if you spend a little more, your building a relationship that could save you a lot of $ down the road if this is something you like to do or want to make a career out of. Where I live we have several shops. If you check them all you will find that each one keeps lower prices on some items to draw people in. Each one usually does it on different items. If you only buy those discount items at the places that are the cheapest you might save lots of $. But that does cost time.
The store I go to is Westerngasco. The guy there gives me a LOT better prices than the folks at praxair. Better customer service too. Only drawback is that its about 1 1/2 h away while the praxair is only 3/4.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Junior Welder

Demented wrote:
Junior Welder wrote:
http://www.arc-zone.com is in California and they're fairly cheap, plus they also sell Jody's TIG Finger.
Thanks for the link. I'll check them out. Will see how much it is to ship their stuff to canada.

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Poland308

Some LWS do have a web site you can order through a personal account, and then get it shipped. Might be cheaper than the drive.

Josh
    Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 am

I find filler rod is cheaper at my LWS than on line. Shipping gets you every time.
Lincoln MP 210, Lincoln Square Wave 200,
Everlast 210 EXT
Thermal Dynamics 25 Plasma cutter

" Anything that carries your livelihood wants to be welded so that Thor can’t break it."
CJ737
chillrich
    Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:47 am

KMS Tools Kamloops has a decent supply of welding consumables in stock, I'm sure the other KMS stores are well stocked too. After buying lots of pieces I will never use I have found that 3/32 and 1/16 will get everything done for my 200 Amp machine. I use a 9 flex torch primarily and a 17 torch for thicker material. The 9 torch can be fitted with a WA-45N44 stubby gas lens and wedge collet. I use a pink #8 cup.
Attachments
20180719_093445.jpg
20180719_093445.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Junior Welder

tungstendipper wrote:I find filler rod is cheaper at my LWS than on line. Shipping gets you every time.
Yea I Just checked. Arc zone's shipping for 1lb of rod to where I live starts at $38 US. There go my savings :(
LWS=Local Welding Supply?

ESAB Migmaster 250 (MIG)

Poland308

Yes LWS is local welding supply

Josh