Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello
I have been studying and practicing all that I can with TiG welding and I noticed in the videos Jody's rule of 33. Seems to be a good rule to remember for certain thickness material and whatnot's but I seem to have found a problem with the machine I currently have access to (pictured below). Where would I set the dial on this machine to achieve this "rule" or is it not even possible? If you cannot see in the picture clearly, the dial goes from ( 0.25pps - 10pps). I would have to pretty much guess to achieve 33% of the other two settings as well because of the analog style controls.

This also will answer some other questions in regards to two Everlast machines I have my eyes on for future purchase for personal use. One goes from (0 - 50Hz) and the other is (0 - 150Hz).

Rule of 33
33 PPS
33% on Time
33% Background
Syncrowave_250.jpg
Syncrowave_250.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1309 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I’m unfamiliar with your specific machine shown, but top right corner is the Pulse Control settings.
PULSER
BKGND A
PPS
PEAK TIME

If your machine will only perform a maximum of 10pps, then you can not use the Rule of 33 obviously. You can though set the BKGND and PEAK TIME to a 33%.

Personally, I use very different settings for thin metal. As much as 50/10/1.2 to achieve results I’m after. This makes a more deliberate freeze line and allows me to weld more slowly with less heat input. You just need to play with each individual machine in different circumstances to develop a feel for getting the results you require.

I thought as much.. kinda just wanted confirmation. Ive noticed the pulser has opened many new doors. I am going to save your settings and give them a try but first just want to make sure I have written down correctly
50/10/1.2 as in

50% BkGnd
10 PPS
1.2% Time

thanks for your reply
cj737 wrote:I’m unfamiliar with your specific machine shown, but top right corner is the Pulse Control settings.
PULSER
BKGND A
PPS
PEAK TIME

If your machine will only perform a maximum of 10pps, then you can not use the Rule of 33 obviously. You can though set the BKGND and PEAK TIME to a 33%.

Personally, I use very different settings for thin metal. As much as 50/10/1.2 to achieve results I’m after. This makes a more deliberate freeze line and allows me to weld more slowly with less heat input. You just need to play with each individual machine in different circumstances to develop a feel for getting the results you require.
cj737

No, 50% on time, 10 background, 1.2 PPS.
That’s an extreme setting I have used for thin wall CroMo or ally tubing. You’ll get almost a “lights on,lights off” sensationwith that setup. Light on, feed, light off, move. It can help you with being deliberate with position or filler or banging heat and chilling quickly to reduce distortion.

Probably if I had to pick a “standard” setup I’d be 50/25/.1.4. I like a low PPS personally. It really allows me to control what I’m doing, take my time and adjust position and keep the heat down.

Your actual mileage may vary ;)

A lot of welders find a slow pulse rate annoying, you'll see why when you try it, however it can be useful if you can deal with it.
Richard
Website

Just from what I have done so far on practice scrap material aluminum, carbon, and stainless.. it seem more useful than not. It has made up my mind on what the new machine I plan to buy must have. The slower pulse rate is what I think I have been playing with adding filler on the light up slope and moving on light off kinda like cj mentioned. it just felt "natural" if you can say that. So far I am loving it and slower at first seems better while in this never ending learning phase of this trade. Thanks again for so much input. Glad to know there are folks that like to help others learn.. sure makes things easier.
cj737

LtBadd wrote:A lot of welders find a slow pulse rate annoying, you'll see why when you try it, however it can be useful if you can deal with it.
I can attest to that as well. A slow pulse rate is very annoying if you are welding in position, and only want to minimize distortion. Personally, I only use it in two conditions: tubing and autgenuos stainless welds. Else, I just cruise along with a pedal. I never found a distinct difference with higher pulse rates for anything I weld, though I’m sure there must be.