Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

No where new to tig but I don't do alot of stainless. I have a project to weld 2 1/8 .060 tube verticle to .060 plate to fab guage mounts for a hot rod project. The customer wants to leave the assembly as is post weld for the fabrication apperance (haz and weld color left as welded). Any tips or tricks? I have a large piece of scrap flat same material I am going to make coupons out of and do practice T-welds on before final welds. What he is after is the rainbow or salmon color and I NEED TO DELIVER. I am confident in my heat control but any tips would be appreciated. I guess more so just nervous to be able to deliver.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'd weld it like normal, let the color be what it is.

Then wire brush it, and wash over the weld with the machine running hot. In other words, do the fusion first. Once the welding is done, you can play with the cosmetics. Turn the gas flow down to "just barely enough" for the wash pass, and let air do the work. You can always brush it out and start over. Experiment with your test pieces until you get what you want. Keep in mind going over a HOT piece will have a different result from a cold one.

The rainbow can be attractive and interesting, but the results are unpredictable.

Steve
ogorir
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:04 pm

the only way I've found I could get a HAZ that doesn't taper AND full penetration on small pieces (things that heat up before you're done welding) is to use pulse. I don't remember what machine you've got, but if you've got an inverter, a high amperage and low background current would be where I'd start, slow speed, whatever seems comfortable to scoot and pause and keep a reasonable HAZ.

but, I don't do a whole lot of stainless, either, so take it for what it is.

remember, though, it heats up faster than plain steel.
pro mod steve

200 dx haven't tried any of the pulse features yet but I'll give it a shot on some test pieces.
pro mod steve

Practiced on some test pieces .060 flat t-weld .040 tungsten .045 filler 65 amps max dynasty 200dx no pulse. Did 2 test pieces on fusion and one with filler both a beautiful gold with some pink or salmon with a little baby blue color. Sorry no pics but the customer was moe than happy with the test pieces so I am on the right track oh and post flow was 15 seconds to try and help. Good thing I got the rod because he doesn't like the fusion look. Main thing the customer is happy but the tube supplier dropped the ball so I have to wait till next week for the real thing.
sweweld
    Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:13 am

In my experience, the trick to achieve shiny/straw colored welds with slightly blue HAZ, is LOW heat input.
The welded metal has to cool sufficiently to not be red before it leaves the argon shielding, otherwise it will turn grey.
Use chilling backing with Cu or Al if the parts are thin.
pro mod steve

Thanks for the tip that was one reason for the high post flow to try and help cover my but a little. Total brainfart on the chill bar we have some good chunks of al I'll try those.
pro mod steve

Got it done today with very minimal warpage for my first shot at this. Main thing customer was way more than happy and I got a nice tip ($$). Sorry no pics he grabbed the piece soon as it was cool to show his friends.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Ain't nothin better than the customer walkin away with a big smile on his face. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (Except maybe the pay & tip)
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator