Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

I have been looking around the web for ideas on TIG work, such as SS patio furniture, ashtrays, incense holders, etc... What are some of the side gigs you guys do? We all have (or are working towards) these skillsets that can generate side money, just wanna see what everyone is doing!
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't
Mike Westbrook
    Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm

I honestly haven't done any Tig side jobs in six months done mostly equipment repairs farmer jobs and snow equipment and honestly blacksmith work for reanactors and decorative brackets for log home builders has kept me the most busy lately I do a blacksmith job a week and a large weld job once a month maybe cause I turn down every dick and hary with 10 dollars who wants a new muffler welded in while waiting on a Sunday

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Cutting torch hammer and a full vocabulary

Don't know where you're located, but I'm in a large populated area, you may find some work making garden/yard art, plant holders, even furniture...google image search and Pinterest are a good source for ideas.

Small or medium size machine shops can be good for work if you can get in, and the WTaT podcast has talked about this a few times.

Join networking and maker groups, claim your business (if you have one) on Google My Business, etc.
Richard
Website
rjr8009
    Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:23 pm

LTBadd - I'm in Phoenix, and I work for a company that builds stainless steel weather instruments. All .35/.45 gauge SS and a little aluminum. I have a full shop with access whenever I want so I'd like to start producing some stuff to sell on the side (my employer encourages it, I hit the jackpot here). I remember a while back watching a video of this guy fabricating these thin gauge SS boxes that hospitals were buying as sleeves to put over pipes (I think he said to keep rats from eating through pipe?). Said he was selling them for 800$ a box and I know I can make those easy peezy
Find 3 hobbies: 1 to make you money, 1 to keep you in shape and 1 to keep you creative

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't
Lancer21
    Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:04 am

If I ever master TIG welding, I was thinking it'd be a good side gig... during the holidays! Because after inheriting some money, my wife and I were planning to buy some property in Greece as a secondary residence, and I'm 100% willing to bet that, if these 2 plans ever realise, I'll be the only guy in there speaking foreign languages and knowing how to weld; in other words, I'd be able to market my services to the other holiday goers, especially since people owning secondary residences usually never touched a welding set or anything related to manual working :lol: