Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
TwirlyWhirly555
    Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Hi Everyone : )

I have been lurking for a while and after getting my first tig welder and thought I would join , wanted to thank Jody for all the videos and work he has done as they are all very helpful .

I have done Mig for around 5 years in pre fabrication of steel rebar reinforcements and I decided I wanted to learn TIG welding for hobby use and just to learn something new : ) .

I have projects that id like to do someday based around both mild steel and aluminium .

These are the first attempts i have done so far , about 4 rods worth of aluminium and a few of mild steel .

My welder is a oxford 220A AC/DC , Torch - WP20 with standard gas lens and number 8 Cup , 8L/min of argon .

Settings used are 115A with peddle , 3.2mm blue tungsten , 2.4mm AL rod 4043A , 3mm AL plate 1050 grade , 70% penetration , 120Hz . So far i have dipped a few times and i seem to struggle with feeding the rod through my hand hence why the short beads and getting a smooth run

ImageP1010717 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr
ImageP1010718 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

They do vary abit and are abit grainy due to me trying to get two hands and a foot to all coperate at the same time . I do have very long way to go with so much to pickup and lean but should be fun : )
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

They look just fine. The grainy appearance is the nature of 4043 filler. Accumulated heat will also present itself by turning your beads very grainy. Quench periodically while you practice and you’ll see the difference.

Another trick, at the start of your weld, the smoot ring, that can be reduced/eliminated by using a pre-flow of gas. If your machine doesn’t have that parameter, simply bump your pedal with the tungsten far enough away no initiate an arc, and hold the cup near the start, let some gas flow, then fire your arc up. Purging the surface of atmosphere helps a lot with a cleaner start up.
SteveJustSteve
    Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 pm

Looks like a good start! Tapering off when terminating the weld will help to avoid a crater at the end.