Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dwisehart
    Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Jody, the FAA has issued an SAIB on the repair of Lycoming engines, saying, "While independent repair shops have successfully repaired cylinders, there are many repair stations in the aviation industry that have talented and knowledgeable personnel who are performing a much needed service in repairing otherwise unserviceable parts. However, the FAA has been made aware of repaired crankcases and cylinders which have failed in-service, resulting in accidents.”"

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... -19-08.pdf

It has been a while since you did a video on welding cast aluminum (2012 by my search). Would you consider doing another?

Thanks, always,
Daniel
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Jody has done a few cast aluminium vids in recent times.

My bet is he won't get involved with this one.
If both the manufacturer and your FAA have put in writing not to repair these problem castings, anyone would be nuts to have a go - setting themselves up for real bad times.

Some things should walked away from, this is definitely one of them.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

what is interesting here is that the FAA mentioned in the pdf one of the problems of aluminum crack repair, the oxide in the crack.
jody did a video on that and showed that it can cause internal linear porosity.
tweak it until it breaks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve had experience with cast steel and brass that was critical. When they welt to X-ray and ultrasound it we found out that the odd shape ( varying thickness due to change in shape like the fins mentioned in the bulletin, and the general nature of porosity in most castings) kept them from being able to do so acutely. Sounds like the failure is located in an area like this. There covering there liability with the notice because even an experienced pilot might be caused to crash by a loss of power.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

With general aviation engines, welding cases and cylinders would be a Major Repair. All Major Repairs need to be done in accordance with approved data. I don’t know of any engine manufacturers of reciprocating engines that have welded repairs in their manuals , so each repair station or mechanic that wants to weld a case or cylinder would need to submit their procedure to the FAA or a DER for approval. There are a number of reputable shops that have approved procedures. I suspect this SAIB is directed at Unapproved Repairs that have been done off book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene