Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

So I'm curious if anyone more experienced in stainless has any pointers for me on the tricky nature of the stainless beast.

The pictures are showing some welds I did on 16g stainless to 16g stainless (the pipe may be a tad thicker) all was with no back purge

Settings were dc @65 amps no pulse with a 3/32 2% lanth electrode approx 25cfh pure argon #8 gas lense stickout approx 3/8"

Welds seemed to be going in fine but I just couldn't seem to keep up with it.

So about halfway through I switched it up to 90 amps with 30pps and if I remember right 50% background for 40% of the spectrum.

Welds still seemed to go in just fine just felt like I had more time to re adjust etc and the welds seemed to stay a bit shinier.

Thanks in advance for any tips etcImageImageImage

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

That looks decent fwiw.

My first thought is that for 16ga I would probably be running closer to 45 amps and holding a tight arc and moving quick.
When you get into thin stainless such as 16ga always use aluminum backing if you can. Camp chill blocks everywhere you're gonna be welding it helps a lot with keeping the temps down and lets you bump up the amperage a little / is more forgiving. Also let the part cool to the touch after a run. Helps a ton with keeping the color nice and keeping the weldment from overheating.

Some of the folks here have help me a lot with stainless questions. I'm sure you'll get some responses. It may help to throw a few more questions in the mix if you have any, other than general feedback.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

bap_ wrote:That looks decent fwiw.

My first thought is that for 16ga I would probably be running closer to 45 amps and holding a tight arc and moving quick.
When you get into thin stainless such as 16ga always use aluminum backing if you can. Camp chill blocks everywhere you're gonna be welding it helps a lot with keeping the temps down and lets you bump up the amperage a little / is more forgiving. Also let the part cool to the touch after a run. Helps a ton with keeping the color nice and keeping the weldment from overheating.

Some of the folks here have help me a lot with stainless questions. I'm sure you'll get some responses. It may help to throw a few more questions in the mix if you have any, other than general feedback.
I definately forgot a big detail. I only did the welds for the blank off plates and fittings of the tank.

The end cap and Seam weld down the length of the tank were done by someone else. Was trying to match that look but it turns out to be quite a trick to match someone else's weld.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk