Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

its here in time for the weekend.
gave it a quick try and it works really well. i can certainly see why crummy has it for his go to aluminium rig.
that cup is ridiculously small, it tiny. on the 26 torch it looks like it went for a swim in the cold lake. :oops:

i did try fairly long stick out, as thats the big concern with going to small dia cups. but it work well at moderate length.
i don't think i'll get gas lens stick out lengths, but because the cup overall size is so small it gets in the corners quite well.
puddles are super shiny, even on dirty aluminium scrap.
gas wise i'm not sure at the mo, bottle is almost out.

going to have to make a project up to try it out fully.
otherwise so far its a big thumbs up.

https://weldmongerstore.com/collections ... t-17-18-26
tweak it until it breaks
    Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Tweake,

You got to get a bigger cylinder and a cheaper Argon source[emoji23]

You go through a lot of tanks[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
tweake

Radishfever wrote:Tweake,

You got to get a bigger cylinder and a cheaper Argon source[emoji23]

You go through a lot of tanks[emoji106][emoji106]

its tricky.
bigger cylinders are harder to move around.
there is really only one supplier for the bigger sizes and they only rent bottles. for a hobby welder that really burns a hole in the wallet.
the crowd i'm with now does swap bottles and no rental, which saves me about the cost of 4 bottles of gas a year. downside is limited selection and only one bottle size.
tweak it until it breaks

Here my LWS is located off Cape Cod in Plymouth MA. I called them the week before I bought my GTAW and was told.

1. They were big into renting stuff as opposed to me buying.
2. The biggest bottle they would rent me was 80cf.
3. The cost to refill an 80 cf was only $10 less than refilling the 125 cf.
4. They consider any cylinder 126 cf and up as industrial use.
5. They told me if I buy my own cylinder to keep all the paper work and bring that paper work when I need a refill.
6. They do not do refills so the cylinder just gets exchanged for a full one.
7. They wanted over $800 if I bought a 125 cf from them. And that did not include argon. Just the cylinder.
8. Bought a full tank of argon delivered to my front door for less than half the price as LWS
9. Used money saved to buy Harris dual flow meter, that works like a dream.

Radishfever wrote:Here my LWS is located off Cape Cod in Plymouth MA. I called them the week before I bought my GTAW and was told.

5. They told me if I buy my own cylinder to keep all the paper work and bring that paper work when I need a refill.
7. They wanted over $800 if I bought a 125 cf from them. And that did not include argon. Just the cylinder.
8. Bought a full tank of argon delivered to my front door for less than half the price as LWS

I wonder if all that would change if you ran under a business license. I get the 330cf cylinder at $7.75 rent per month and around $60 for the refill/swap out
Richard
Website

Good question. I don't think it's worth the hassle setting up a business just yet. Another reason I got a bigger cylinder was to honestly avoid having to deal with LWS. Another reason I got a good flow meter was to be frugal with the gas.

They wanted something like a $240 deposit and then a monthly or yearly rental fee for an 80cf cylinder. Then it was something like $72 for Argon fill on top of the deposit and rental fee. Got the 125 cf tank full for about the same price and it's only $80 something for a fill.

There is no way I could get a 330cf from Plymouth. They would not deal with me unless I went with the 80cf. Would have had to drive all the way to New Bedford, my guess, to buy big boy cylinders. Around here, 125cf and bigger is considered industrial.
tweake

Radishfever wrote:Here my LWS is located off Cape Cod in Plymouth MA. I called them the week before I bought my GTAW and was told.

one of the problems with buying your own bottle is here they need to be tested every so often and certed for us. the guys that test them are very picky. price wise if you have to buy replacements then any price advantage is gone.
the only filling place, which does the rentals, can refuse filling for any pointless reason.

i'm told many years ago there was only one gas supplier and people really got screwed over.
tweak it until it breaks

Very interesting.

Here it seems things work slightly different. For example I bought my full argon cylinder mail order from Amazon. Once it run outs I drive to my LWS and just exchange it for a full tank and leave. I think they just charge me for the argon and I walk away. Not sure what happens if you show up with a tank that needs to be tested.

So basically I own a tank that I don’t really own. And that is still cheaper than renting around here. It would be worth renting for just visiting an area to help someone on a project but my plan is to always have welding machines immediately available and long term.

GTAW is so enjoyable and satisfying compared to the gas less flux core wire welding experience.

BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

I"ve gotten the kits provided by Jody and the Weldmonger store. Haven't at this time really worked all of them to the max, but find , so far, the torches are just a bit different in handling. I have my own tank and now have a spare in case I'm working the weekend or holidays and the lws is closed.
Going to work on a stair railing for my friends new entrances and will use the new #5 kit. News at 6.
Bill