Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Inv4drZm
    Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:42 pm

I bought an AHP 201xd a couple weeks ago and have been messing around with it every couple days since. I don't know much about tig but am hoping to learn enough to weld an exhaust system together for my truck. I've mig welded bumpers and things for my truck so am fairly comfortable with that but tig is a whole new world.

First-off I noticed the high-frequency start doesn't work at all from the machine, I've been using lift start. I emailed AHP about the issue but haven't had a response after almost a week so I figure I'll make some time around my lunch break to give them a call and help troubleshoot or I've heard online they have sent out new HF boards to install in defective machines. I took the cover off and looked at the HF contacts, no arc between them, and no buzzing whatsoever when trying to start a HF weld.

The other issue, one I hope you guys can help me with, is that I started off welding some scrap aluminum/AC, then switched to stainless/DC. But when I switched over to weld aluminum/AC again it just cooks the metal and no puddle forms. I messed with every setting and grounded the workpiece directly, cleaned it with acetone again, tightened all the gas lines, replaced tungsten, nothing helps. I'm not even using filler rod at this point. I'm just wondering if the machine is stuck in DC or am I missing something? It continues to weld stainless fine as far as I can tell (I just suck). Got something else for me to try?

AC Frequency set to 80
AC balance set to 30
Amperage set to 70
#10 cup with 20 cfh argon
3/32 purple tungsten
3/32 4043 filler rod
1/16" 5052 Aluminum material

You can see in the picture where the "good" welds were my previous ones, bad ones in the upper right corner is the new setup.

Inv4drZm

Before a mod/administrator approved my first post, I figured out my problem. I changed to a #10 cup for stainless, apparently aluminum likes #6 a lot more. And even with a #6 it lets me know if I have too much stick out with the same symptom as before. So problem solved, other than the HF start issue.

At this point welding aluminum seems a lot easier than stainless.

Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:43 pm

Bummer about the High Frequency Start giving you fits. Might be a good idea to call AHP and find a solution. They don't seem to like emails as much as being called direct.

When you figure out what happened or talk to AHP keep us informed.

I have seen one video on YouTube where the HF start was not working on an AHP because some red goop used for coating electric parts in the welder had dried between the contacts of the HF start. The guy opened the case as wiped the red goop off the contacts and the HF start worked again. A fix anybody could make. Not saying this is your issue but it was an issue for that guy.

The HF on my AHP works fine as long as I'm grounded and fairly close to the work with the tungsten.

Looks like welding aluminum is going to be cake for you. Have not tried any myself yet.
Learning is the best part of life and the most painful
Inv4drZm

Radishfever wrote:Bummer about the High Frequency Start giving you fits. Might be a good idea to call AHP and find a solution. They don't seem to like emails as much as being called direct.

When you figure out what happened or talk to AHP keep us informed.

I have seen one video on YouTube where the HF start was not working on an AHP because some red goop used for coating electric parts in the welder had dried between the contacts of the HF start. The guy opened the case as wiped the red goop off the contacts and the HF start worked again. A fix anybody could make. Not saying this is your issue but it was an issue for that guy.

The HF on my AHP works fine as long as I'm grounded and fairly close to the work with the tungsten.

Looks like welding aluminum is going to be cake for you. Have not tried any myself yet.
During my first real project with the welder, a Y-Pipe exhaust for my truck, the HF start magically started working. I picked up a #10 gas lens and stainless welds are looking way better than what I could do on a standard #10.

We'll see how long the machine stays 'fixed' but here is how the pipe turned out:

2.5" 16 gauge 304 stainless

ljdm1956
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:29 pm

Somewhat of a similar problem with HF. Could be the 3000 mile ship ride, or a Monday morning/Friday afternoon employee, I needed to adjust the gap on the HF points, also make sure they are properly aligned. Pretty straightforward, easy job, also can't hurt to at least check the gap now and again, sometimes a simple cleaning of the points is all that might be needed.
Lincoln Weld-Pak 180
Lincoln spool gun
Everlast PowerUltra 205p
AHP AlphaTig 200X
Assorted stuff