Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:33 pm

IMG_2951[1].JPG
IMG_2951[1].JPG (30.01 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Turns out my power cable is crimped - bent and damaged on the inside restricting gas flow. I've looked around online for a replacement hose - but most places want to sell the torch along with it. I just wanted to check here to see if anyone had any ideas on replacement or repair.
17 style Eastwood
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Is that a new machine? If so, it is the responsibility of the supplier to provide proper service and parts. If it is an older machine, call eastwood and talk nice to them and they probably provide a new cable. IF not, I would imagine that the machines are the same as far as the connectors go or there are adapters available. I've seen cables available from most of the suppliers.

It's a new machine. I already have a note into Eastwood about it. The damage happened on our end.
It seems the female connector on the cable is what makes it a strange fit. I've looked - and there are some SuperFlex replacements. A bit spendy when I don't "need" a new torch.
There are other cables out there - but in the $100 range and usually have a torch attached to them.
I can't seem to find just the cable - or an alternative adapter to allow me to hook up another.

It makes sense to repair this one - but not finding a lot of options there.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

You mentioned CK superflex. I'd get another one any day.. I have two at the moment and wouldn't get anything else. Any online distributor will have just the cable. A lot of places offer discounts for newsletter signup.

Weldfabulous, arczone to name a few.

You have a #17 this would be an option for you.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JV ... UTF8&psc=1
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Except that he would have to Fab up either an adapter for that 3/8-24 fitting at the machine end to change it to a M16-1.5 nut, or change the fitting at the machine to a female 3/8-24 to accommodate the cable.

Except that he would have to Fab up either an adapter for that 3/8-24 fitting at the machine end to change it to a M16-1.5 nut, or change the fitting at the machine to a female 3/8-24 to accommodate the cable.
Exactly - that's my issue right now. Turns out there's a price to pay for having that M16 on the end.
I found some similar fittings for repairing the existing hose over at arc-zone - but not sure which machine-end nipple to get. Then of course you need a good crimp and a swaging tool for the ferrule - so the price goes right back up - and it makes sense to buy a new cable with a torch - which I already have two torches on order.

Here's the machine-end nipple I was looking at. https://www.arc-zone.com/current-nipple-45v67

This is the one I'm trying to replace.
IMG_2952[1].JPG
IMG_2952[1].JPG (24.92 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
I'm completely happy to modify the machine to make it accept a 3/8 24 - but that's a project for another day. By the time I'm done buying parts for this one - I could have bought another welder... I'd love to come up with some ideas for converting the machine-end to take 3/8 24. It would solve a tone of issues.
cj737

Or install quick connects...

Or install quick connects...
I'd love some suggestions as to how to approach it...

I managed to bang the old hose and fitting back together... Kinda ghetto style...
I'm back to laying my crappy beads until the new torch comes in - then we'll see if new shoes make me run any faster... They always did when I was a kid...
IMG_2953[1].JPG
IMG_2953[1].JPG (49.99 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Ah totally missed that detail. My mistake.

I wonder if someone makes a fitting that screws onto one end of the normal power cable that would work instead of that crimp.
cj737

I’m pretty sure the machine side connectors are Dinse style. When you order the Superflex cable, you simply order a new Dinse connector also. Screw the superflex cable tot he Dinse connector (it’s either 25mm or 35mm size) and then insert the a Dinse connector to the machine. Simple.

I’ve done exactly this on my small Miller that came with a 12’ TIG cable and I replaced it with a 25’ Superflex screwed to my 17 torch.

cj737 wrote:I’m pretty sure the machine side connectors are Dinse style. When you order the Superflex cable, you simply order a new Dinse connector also. Screw the superflex cable tot he Dinse connector (it’s either 25mm or 35mm size) and then insert the a Dinse connector to the machine. Simple.

I’ve done exactly this on my small Miller that came with a 12’ TIG cable and I replaced it with a 25’ Superflex screwed to my 17 torch.
Right ditto here. You need to make sure you get the correct size dinse as well. 25mm for the Miller maxstar 150s and 35 for everything else iirc.

I would recommend calling up CK or reputable brand and talking with their service department. Even if you don't want to buy their product just pretend you do and find out what might work for your machine possibly?

Good luck.
brokeitagain
    Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:16 am