Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gunhappy
    Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:36 am

I know some of the pro’s don’t feel a foot pedal is necessary, that’s understandable.

However, I’m a hobbiest. Given that, I’ve found a machine that will make use of a foot pedal. The reason I know it will take the foot pedal is because it has the foot pedal connector and hand button connector as well as the 2/4 switch.

So, what specs should I be looking for in a foot pedal. They are not sold in Thailand, consequently I get to do the global hunt. That means US suppliers like Airgas are an option.

Knowing what is not worth spending money on would also be helpful because everything always has useless bells and whistles.

The machine is going to be the Welpro Weltig 200P AC/DC. The tig I bought went back to the seller and they will get me the new machine.

They’re expensive by Thai standards($1,000.00USD), which is why they are hard to find.

SSC Controls makes a good pedal and also can probably provide the right connection
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

LtBadd wrote:SSC Controls makes a good pedal and also can probably provide the right connection
Lots of pedals that are name branded for major manufacturers are actually made by ssc. There great to work with.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Another vote for ssc
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:Lots of pedals that are name branded for major manufacturers are actually made by ssc. There great to work with.
Josh,

I'd love to see a comparison of an SSC and another similar pedal, such as the Nova/Neverlast. I have a Nova/Neverlast that I bought from them on sale shortly after I got my machine and I feel that I was led to believe that they are SSC pedals which have a better potentiometer in them which will last for years longer than anyone could wish.

I've been using it for over a year and there's something about it that annoys me. The spring or something else seems to make some noise when I press it, and I actually find that annoying. I'm kind of feeling that it's yet another Chinese product that stole the design which SSC came up with. Since I don't have an SSC pedal, I have no way of knowing if it is or isn't exactly made as an SSC is, but I believe it might be an inferior pedal with a superior potentiometer in it.

SSC is a proven name, I'd love to see an actual comparison between one of them and what appears to be SSC clones.

My $0.02,
Alan
Collector of old Iron!

Alan
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

SSC will make a pedal of any quality that a manufacturer wants. Some companies don’t care about quality so they only pay to have a functioning one built so they can slap there name on it. But I’ve had very good luck with anything I’ve ordered direct from SSC. With there name on it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

+1 on SSC I love mine, Great pedal

The box style miller pedals are pretty rad too, but like others have said SSC is equal opportunity.
TraditionalToolworks
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:49 am

Poland308 wrote:SSC will make a pedal of any quality that a manufacturer wants. Some companies don’t care about quality so they only pay to have a functioning one built so they can slap there name on it. But I’ve had very good luck with anything I’ve ordered direct from SSC. With there name on it.
Understood, which is why I will order from SSC the next time, or from HTP. My current plan is to get an HTP 221 and they sell/buy their pedals from SSC, AFAICT. If/when I buy an HTP unit, they come with the pedal. The only thing I see changing my mind on that is if I can find a Dynasty 210DX used at a reasonable price, or a deal on a Fronious 230i. I think it's likely I will end up with an HTP 221 however.

I've been using one of the Nova/Everlast pedals for about 2 years and don't really have any complaints other than the squeak the pedal makes occasionally.

Does anyone with an official SSC pedal experience that at all?

Alan
Collector of old Iron!

Alan