Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
chairpilot
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm looking into a gas lense for my Miller #17 TIG torch. What gas lense set up would you all recommend for TIG welding on 1/16" (.063) 308L stainless? I've been using a 1/16" tungstun (red) sticking out about 3/8" from a #7 cup with about 8-10 CFH flowing, 120 amps set on DCEN and it seems fair but not great. The worst problem is my torch blowing metal away at the beginning and end (edges)...............!%$#@! I then strated working from the middle of the joints and that helps on start but still blows away the edge at the ends even with my letting up on the pedal some.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Bob
Attachments
Stainless steel weld joint.jpg
Stainless steel weld joint.jpg (134.04 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

How did you arrive at 120amps? I wouldn't go that high on 1/16. I've just been working on 1.6mm, with a 1.6 tungsten and if going any higher than 60amps I was getting undercut but don't see that with yours.
On having another look, it does appear you are getting some undercut.
chairpilot
    Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 pm

gnabgib wrote:How did you arrive at 120amps? I wouldn't go that high on 1/16. I've just been working on 1.6mm, with a 1.6 tungsten and if going any higher than 60amps I was getting undercut but don't see that with yours.
On having another look, it does appear you are getting some undercut.

The 120A was just a "Miller slide card" recommendation. I seem to not need to pedal down more than about half way for best results. But I'll lower it to about 50A-60A and see if things improve with the pedal down more (or even all the way)

What's you take on using a gas lense (and at what CFH & cup size)

Thanks again for the input.

Bob
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

The lens reduces gas turbulence. Never used one so I can't offer an opinion yet but I just bought one and a #6 nozzle with a 2.4mm collet that was I intending to use on Aluminium. Try one and see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know later how mine goes.