Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Dimebag
    Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 am

New to welding and am trying to learn myself as I don't have time to take a course at all. I have an AC/DC Tig with plasma and MMA that's supposedly rated at 200amp/ 60% duty cycle.

Not too sure what is the best setting regarding square wave. Is this really needed as I'm not having much luck getting a tidy small contact going to allow me to "push" a constructive puddle of sorts on alloy. Thinking of trying not using square wave but have a suspicion this is a DC only setting/ function.

Anyone care to advise as I've used half a bottle of Argon and plenty filler rods practising and it's getting pricey to not actually be productive

jakeru
    Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:30 pm

The rocker switch does that has a staight line below it and a "square wave" symbol on top of it, is to control turning the pulsing on/off. I would recommend leaving it off (straight line) when learning how to make the basic machine adjustments. (When you have it off you can ignore the pulse frequency, pulse duty cycle, pulse base current knobs).

If by "alloy" you mean an aluminum alloy, you will want to use AC welding mode. I'd try setting the AC balance to the minimum on that machine, 30%. Start with clean material to weld (no waters, oils, or grease.) Preferably remove any old, oxide skin off the surface before welding also.

You might want to try and find the video on TIG inverter machine settings on this web site. It will help explain the controls.
Dimebag
    Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:30 am

This website has been my saviour so far. I'll try welding non pulse tonight and see how it goes. A little more info on what pulse does and why is what I'm after as no doubt people don't just always weld pulse AC when doing aluminium
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

I have this machine as-well i will see if i can help with the perimeters for you jakeru is right but it will pulse and ball up the electrode at about 45% A/C Balance i'm running 3.2-2% Lanthanated electrode Definately run square wave for ALI (Well thats your preference realy) But don't be shy TRY TRY TRY !!! I'll endeavor to get back to you with all the settings
Last edited by SEAN on Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEAN
    Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:37 am

Sorry my last post was vague with the settings i have since re attacked the machine and now have it running or pulsing rather nicely i'm working with 1-1/2 tubing 1/8 wall or 3mm plate to 6 mm here are my settings
A/C BALANCE 40-50% --AC FREQ 80% -- BASE CURRENT 125 AMP-- PULSE CURRENT 165-175 AMPS--- PULSE FREQ 1.75 HZ-- PULSE WIDTH 0.7 DOWN SLOPE 1-2 SECS POST FLOW 3-4 SECS SET IT TO PULSE SQUARE WAVE AND THE FOUR STEP MODE AT THIS SETTING I PREVOUSLY USED A LANTHANTED TUNGSTEN 2% ON SOME CRAPPY MILD STEEL THE TIP WAS STILL SHARP WHEN I STARTED IT BALLED UP GREAT AND STAYED LIKE IT ALL DAY AND I PUNISHED IT ON SOME SIX MM ASWELL BUT THE AMPS WERE UP THERE FOR BETTER PENETRATION ON THAT THICKNESS (1/4) THE A/C BALANCE MAY GO UP TO AROUND 60% TOPS MORE THAN TAT THE ELECTRODE BALLS UP AND IN SOME CASES IF HAS IT ACTUALLY FALL OF THE END OF THE TIP

SO A SPECIAL THANKYOU TO JAKERU FOR THAT HANDY LITTLE TIP
YOUR WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH THESE SETTINGS AND STACK DIMES LIKE A PRO JUST REMEMBER JODY TIP FOR STACKING DIMES AND YOUR OFF