Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
vaguy101
    Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:24 am

Hello ,

I've been practicing tig welding for a while now . Working on my combo pipe cert at the moment. I'm on a job where we are doing alot of 2 and 3 inch sch 40 . I only have a size 7 and 8 for my tig torch currently and they bind up when trying to walk the root in . Because they dont fit inside the bevel even when running a loose 5/32 gap and 37 degree bevel. So it hard to really keep a good torch angle and maintain travel speed . My union wants the roots walked and back fed in on inspection and apparently the contractors aren't to big on free hand roots so thags my dilemma.

I'd love to purchase one of the kits that Jody has for sale but I can't really afford it right now . Does anyone have any experience with some of the cheaper kits listed on Amazon?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

FWIW, some users including myself have had issues with abnormal gas coverage with cheap gas lens collet bodies recently (you can look up previous posts if you'd like). What cup size were you looking for and for what TIG torch ?
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

I'd think it would be hard to walk the cup on pipe that small with any size cup...at least for me. Maybe try less walking and more wiggling the cup in the groove to get the oscillation needed.
vaguy101

Oscar wrote:FWIW, some users including myself have had issues with abnormal gas coverage with cheap gas lens collet bodies recently (you can look up previous posts if you'd like). What cup size were you looking for and for what TIG torch ?
I'm not sure to be honest , I have a smaller 9 series flex torch with a small cup on it but its a hand me down . It wiggles in the bevel very great but its only rated to 90 amps and uses a 1/16th electrode . I would imagine if im using a 8 currently i would like a selection from 4 to 10 for my current gas lense kn my 17 torch .

Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You can get bigger tungsten into a number 9. I’ve gotten parts to use 1/8 before. Usually I use 3/32 in my 9. I think there rated for 125 amp.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
vaguy101

Poland308 wrote:You can get bigger tungsten into a number 9. I’ve gotten parts to use 1/8 before. Usually I use 3/32 in my 9. I think there rated for 125 amp.
Okay awesome , thanks for the info . I'm just going to take my torches up to my LWS and maybe see if I cant find an assortment of stuff .