Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Cooperstown
    Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 am

Just looking to see if I am headed in the right direction.

Outside Corner Joint (is the back side penetration ok? To me it looks like it fused well, but I dont have anything to compare it to.
1/8 mild steel
3/32 thoriated
1/16 er70s6
12cfh / 8 cup
70 amp

Strait beads
1/4 mild steel
125 Amp
12cfh / 8 cup
1/16 er70s6

I have been welding for about a month and a half. The first half month was rough but I feel more and more comfortable. Just looking to see if I am progressing ok. I also welding 1/16 mild steel and 20amps using .40 filler wire. They looked good to but obviously much smaller beads. I think I might start welding my rocker panels in a couple more months. I am working on welding in different positions and postures right now to get ready so I dont screw it up. Lol. I wont start my rockers till I'm sure . Thanks for the input.
Attachments
20201211_220623.jpg
20201211_220623.jpg (34.81 KiB) Viewed 561 times
20201211_220559.jpg
20201211_220559.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 561 times
20201211_220551.jpg
20201211_220551.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 561 times
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Those beads look really good. But -
Based upon the thickness you stated (1/8) you would want more amperage (closer to 1amp/0.001 of metal) 125.
For the 1/16 metal, 40 amps is pretty low too.
CFH should be 2x cup size. 12CFH for a #8 is low. Bump it up to 15+

Now having said all that, if you are not using a pedal or button to modulate the amperage, running straight amps you can certainly get your work done perfectly well with those amperages.. I prefer to be a little hotter and use the filler rod to chill the puddle. Stop the arc when the puddle is getting away from you.

When you weld outside corners, tack at each end. Then weld to the corner. The tack provides some extra filler to prevent the corner from buying away and leaving a void. You can always touch up the corner with a grinder.

When you tackle your rockers, make sure the backside of the existing panel is clean and solid metal. You will get better results. And just tack the entire panel in lots of places. Go super slow to prevent warping or heat distortion on the panel. You can use a rag soaking in ice cold water to chill the panel periodically. Wipe dry, tack some more.

Last trick, when welding rockers, I mostly use Silicon Bronze filler. It requires far less heat and welds just as strong as ER70 for body work. And it will never rust. For 18 gauge panels, I run about 40-45 amps and it works a treat. It is also softer so afterwards you can flap disk it down to leave a smooth seam with less friction or grinding.
Cooperstown
    Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 am

I appreciate it thank you. I am using a trigger finger. I have finally gotten use to it for the most part. It is still tuff at times. I have learned that I need to move quickly and use the lower end of the amp chart. I will try using the amps you suggested again. Last time I tried to practice with that many amps it just wouldnt make a bead. It was more like a liquified bead. I am assuming that attributed to not having a pedal. I will try. That's been the toughest thing about the trigger. I can watch videos all day but never seem to be able to mimic the amps others use with a pedal..

I am however getting a new welding machine for Christmas. It has already been ordered and cant wait to get here. I ordered the PRIME WELD machine and look forward to being able to use pulse and also finally do aluminum. Thanks again for the comments. I will keep working.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

For practicing, you’re fine with those amps. For final welding, you’ll need to use more and be comfortable with it. Mechanical practice is very important (hand, torch, filler, etc) so just keep whacking away. Turn your amps up 5-10 at a stretch until you find your threshold.

The PrimeWeld is a very good machine and using pulse in rockers will be a huge benefit