Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
eelman308
    Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:34 pm

So my welder came with the CK17 torch kit and some basic "consumables". Why are they consumable? How do they go bad?

I did order a pack of tungstens so I get that part. Collets? Collet bodies? Caps? O-rings? Insulators? What should I have on hand so I don't get caught in the middle of something when one of these "consumables" consumes?

Thanks. Sorry if this has already been asked. I did the search thing and came up empty.
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

eelman308 wrote:So my welder came with the CK17 torch kit and some basic "consumables". Why are they consumable? How do they go bad?

I did order a pack of tungstens so I get that part. Collets? Collet bodies? Caps? What should I have on hand so I don't get caught in the middle of something when one of these "consumables" consumes?

Thanks. Sorry if this has already been asked. I did the search thing and came up empty.
"Consumables" is somewhat of a misnomer in the TIG world as compared to other welding processes, but that's a long explanation. Your biggest consumables for TIG in general (from an accounting perspective) are shielding gas and filler rod. For torch "consumables" the biggest thing is collets. These can literally wear out from tungsten being shoved through them often, and also from twisting on them when they are hot via tightening the back cap (more of a problem with air cooled torches than with water cooled torches). So try to avoid wrenching on your torch when it's hot. Collet bodies will pretty much last forever so long as you aren't welding dirty material and splattering on them all the time, which you shouldn't be with TIG. Gas lenses can start to get boogered up screens after awhile which can start to impede gas flow, and I replace those when they get dirty, especially if running a lot of AC. Back caps o-rings get replaced by me often, but that seems like an isolated issue with my torches. Still good for you to have some extras. Alumina cups can/will break if you drop them on concrete, so always good to have a few spares of those as well. But really, your only significant torch consumable is the tungsten. That was long winded. Hope it helped.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

Collets wear out from use. Collet bodies get chewed up from being taken on/off, or get spatter on them. Cups get dropped and cracked or get stuff melted on them that's impossible to remove. Tail caps fall off benches and shatter, or get really hot and melt if you're not careful. O-rings get cut or lost.

It's more "wear and tear" than actual consumption, but it's just easier to use the same term for everything that you have to replace on torches periodically.

I even keep a spare work clamp, flow meter, foot pedal, argon bottle (okay, 2), torch set...spare pretty much everything. When I have time to weld I want to be able to weld rather than waste time on the phone trying to find someone local with a $1 part I need.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
eelman308

OK. That makes sense. So a collet or two, cups (most used size...6 & 8 ? ), collet body, and maybe an insulator and tall cap to keep as back up.

Sound about right?
Gligor
    Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:59 pm

eelman308 wrote:OK. That makes sense. So a collet or two, cups (most used size...6 & 8 ? ), collet body, and maybe an insulator and tall cap to keep as back up.

Sound about right?
I assume that you are relatively new to welding. Get more collets, at least 5, maybe even 10. At the beginning you will be sharpening tungsten very often, which means that you will constantly unscrew and screw the back cap when the torch is hot, and you will bend those collets very fast. Or get several brass eccentric collets, I've heard they last longer than the regular brass ones, though I've never used them. Best regards.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I'd get a small cup too. 6 and 8 are nice but sometimes you want something smaller to get the torch where it needs to be

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
eelman308

Yeah, New to tig. My dad had a stick welder forever. Did some Tig in a welding class years and years ago.

Just trying to not sabotage myself as I get back into it.

Thanks for all the advice.