Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Cooperstown
    Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:30 am

When welding 18 gauge sheet metal have you all used those easy clamps that provide .030 inch gap? I am about to start this project and have messed around with my settings and different fit ups. I am using 1/8 copper on the back side to absorb the heat but I am worried that if I use those easy clamps it will be to difficult to fill that gap and keep the heat down, even with the copper backing.

I did fit up panels as tight as I could ( Barely a gap) and I think penetration was good that way. I just don't know how ideal that will be once I start fitting up the new panels to the old. I am bound to get some bigger gaps.

Just wondering it the easy clamps are worth it, or if I should just stick to my c-clamps all over the piece. Thanks
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

It all depends upon the filler wire size you plan to use whether a gap is a good idea, and what size gap. If you are nearly butted, then a 0.045 wire is a pretty good choice. I personally like to use Silicon Bronze wire when welding panels. It’s plenty strong, won’t rust, has very ductility, takes lower heat than steel wire. And it’s really easy to grind flush afterwards.
Cooperstown

cj737 wrote:It all depends upon the filler wire size you plan to use whether a gap is a good idea, and what size gap. If you are nearly butted, then a 0.045 wire is a pretty good choice. I personally like to use Silicon Bronze wire when welding panels. It’s plenty strong, won’t rust, has very ductility, takes lower heat than steel wire. And it’s really easy to grind flush afterwards.

My plan is to use silicon bronze and have been really hitting it hard with making sure my settings are on point using practice metal before hand. Would you say that the gap using those spacers would be to much for the bronze? I have recently been reading alot of forums where some guys say its a horrible option to use silicon bronze the way I have intended to use it because it wont be strong enough, then of course others that swear by it. I just don't want to have to do it over again. I just didn't know if I would be better off fitting the panels as tight as possible, or providing them with that small gap.

The gap on the spacers say it is .030. I will be using 1/16th silicon bronze, at least that is the plan. Thanks for the input.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Cooperstown wrote:
cj737 wrote:If you are nearly butted, then a 0.045 wire is a pretty good choice.
I just didn't know if I would be better off fitting the panels as tight as possible, or providing them with that small gap.

The gap on the spacers say it is .030. I will be using 1/16th silicon bronze, at least that is the plan. Thanks for the input.
A 0.030 gap is perfectly fine for a 0.045 filler with SilBr. Especially if you have a backing strap. Personally, I tack up very heavily, then use pulse to "connect the dots". Skipping around is still rather important to avoid overheating the panel.

I would shy away from 0.063 for this exact reason; it requires more heat than necessary. SilBr is an extremely good choice for panel fitting because it is ductile. It is not as strong as ER70-xx, but with 18ga steel, strength is pretty unimportant anyway. Another option is Panel Bond epoxy if you struggle with the welder. Very strong, easy to apply, permanent adhesion.
Onelick
    Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:24 pm

I'm working on a cj5. I've been using Fitzee's Fabrication (youtube) cut and butt method. Check him out. He is a master panel beater with minimal tools. "Nuttin' Fancy" He only uses .023 wire.

Onelick
Cooperstown

You guys are awesome thank you. This helps out a lot. Cant wait to get home from these damn oil fields and dive into it. Be safe!