Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jackd
    Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey all, I've been using my Primeweld a lot for almost a year, and have really enjoyed it overall. However, I do have one complaint: pumping the pedal seems absolutely impossible because of how slow the amperage actually changes. It takes nearly two seconds for the pedal to change amperage from an arbitrary position on the pedal (let's say ~40%) to full pedal. It is not as if there is a delay, it just moves up and down so SLOW. I've sat and watched the amperage output while just holding an arc on a scrap block and can't believe how long it takes relative to how I move the pedal. If I back off to 80% pedal, I want it to be there immediately, not a full count later.
I was wondering if any other Primeweld users have noticed a similar thing, or if I need to be seeking a solution. With the pedal I'm always set on 2T, so I don't believe upslope/downslope should be factored in, but it could if that's the way this machine works (I thought of this as I was typing). It's the stock Primeweld pedal, not the crappy old toe-only version, the newer full foot style (not sure on the right name).
Stevooo1
    Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Yup, bought a Primeweld and had the exact same issue. Checked the foot pedal output and it would follow my foot perfectly but the machine output was super slow to respond. I have TIG welded all my life and the foot pedals on every machine always responded to my foot allowing me to pump the pedal. I used my meter and checked pedal output.
The output of the pedal looked responsive so, my guess is that for whatever reason the circuitry in the machine just can't keep up.
This was a machine bought within the last 6-months with the newer foot pedal design.

Had to return the machine as it was unworkable for me.

Never saw a review that ever mentioned this issue. However most reviews are from new TIG welders who may not know how a TIG machine should work and never even realized this was an issue. The reviews had a lot of "I am new to TIG welding" etc.

The machine welded just fine with steady amps, had a nice arc and good power. Had high hopes. But the lack of pedal control was a deal breaker for me.

Called Primeweld and they said they would send a prototype pedal right away express. Waited, waited, waited, never came. Returned the unit and bought another brand. Issue solved, new brand works as expected. I don"t think it was the pedal as it measured with the responsiveness of my Lincoln.

Would be interesting to hear from other experienced TIG folks with first hand experience pumping the pedal on a Primeweld and how their machines respond.
jackd
    Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:25 pm

Just wanted to follow up. It was the upslope/downslope settings. Turned both to 0 and away went the problem. Starting to think the Primeweld has too many knobs
walz10
    Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:55 pm

Thanks for the update. When using the pedal you may want to use the selection for the foot pedal. I believe the switch for the foot pedal is on the upper left part of the control panel. Otherwise it may be more beneficial to use the finger switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stevooo1
    Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:16 pm

Good to hear you were able to resolve your issue. That is certainly the best outcome.

I did try what worked for you but it did not help resolve the problem in my case. Otherwise I really liked the machine. Even did a couple of aluminum repairs in the short time I had it and was impressed.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

from the pictures of the face of the primeweld 225, there are controls for the control of the amp feed...upslope, downslope, 2t and 4t. You may want to make sure that the switch for pedal is in 2t position, the upslope is on zero and the same with down slope. Should make any changes, make them one at a time and test for results. Hope this helps.