Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
starlifter71
    Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm

I learned basic welding at the local tech school. I particularly liked the application of stick welding to my home and auto projects. I purchased a used Miller XMT 304 that also has scratch start and lift start DC TIG with a foot pedal. I have grown to prefer TIG welding and would like to trade the XMT for a machine that has more TIG features, including DC/AC. What would be a good machine for my home application? I have 220VAC available. I’m a hobbyist so I don’t really need a long duty cycle or high amperage. I was thinking Diversion but that may be overkill. Thanks
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

I can't imagine buying a Diversion when so many better alternatives are available for less money. I have a pile of Miller machines, but I'm not impressed with the lower end they offer....certainly not when I look at the cost and features.

For $825 you can get a Primeweld 225X that will do more than a Diversion for a third of the cost. I think it's probably the best hobby TIG welder around when you balance the features to the cost. I have yet to see a bad word written about them and they come with pretty nice accessories like a CK torch. If I was just starting out on TIG again I'm pretty sure that's what I would buy.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Ditto on the PrimeWeld for a hobbyist machine. Even a light duty, travel box for a Pro.
VA-Sawyer
    Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:56 am

As a Neverlast owner, I suggest that you avoid the brand.

The Primeweld has a much better reputation for good customer support. For the money, I don't think you will find a better welder.
Good luck.
No sense dying with unused welding rod, so light 'em up!
starlifter71
    Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks everyone. This is the advice I was looking for.
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

You don't mention your budget, or the available space you have. I would personally look for a used Syncowave 250. There are a lot of them out there at reasonable prices. They do a good job at both tig and stick. And, being a transformer machine-they last forever.
G-ManBart
    Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:24 am

'Stang wrote:You don't mention your budget, or the available space you have. I would personally look for a used Syncowave 250. There are a lot of them out there at reasonable prices. They do a good job at both tig and stick. And, being a transformer machine-they last forever.
Not so much any more. I buy every decent one I can get my hands on, and the prices have jumped in the past year. Machines I was picking up for $750-1500 are now bringing $2K at auction on a regular basis, sometimes more.
Miller Syncrowave 250DX TIGRunner
Miller Millermatic 350P
Miller Regency 200 W/22A and Spoolmatic 3
Hobart Champion Elite
Everlast PowerTIG 210EXT