Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
dusty1
    Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 am

I just welded my collet to collet body along with the tungsten & cracked my #6 cup.Well,thats never happened before.1/8" clean base metal,fillet weld.90 amps,15 cfh,1/16" tungsten.Ceramic cup was glowing red & tungsten burned up.This all happened in seconds.I was just practicing on some scrap before getting starting on a project.The base metal was clean.This is a new bottle of argon i might add.I have no idea what happened,any ideas?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

The amperage was probably too high for that size electrode. Use the next size up electrode or crank down the amps to 80 or below for a 1/16" electrode.

That's my guess,anyway.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
dusty1
    Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 am

Got a new collet & body today & did some welding in between 80 & 100 amps with a 1/16 electrode.I think 100 amps is to much,85 good.Bottom line;what happened yesterday didnt happen today.Still dont know what happened.Max amperage to use with a 1/16 electrode?