Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hey guys, just had a 2.4mm goldilocks split. The 1.6mm did it at 120amps too. That seems fair, But I figured with the +- flow it might. But this on the 2.4mm on DC - just went to sharpen and was like, well that happened. Both different brands.
180amp DC inverter, gas lens 10 cup, am at the end of argon bottle, not dangerously smoking tungsten close, but still good pressure and flow / Actual- checked/ never trust a reg. Cracked at a few spots just like that one.
Any help welcomeImage
Pics included
Attachments
16289106542907247770720294309016.jpg
16289106542907247770720294309016.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 3913 times
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Do you cut your tungsten to length or snap it?

Snapping can cause that type of fracturing along the length.

Although I have had a piece or two do that as well and I never snap tungstens. But I do push then quite hard. Of in remembering right it happened when I pushed a 1/8" tungsten to 360amps for a minute or two of weld.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gdarc21

Thanks for your reply Toggatug.
I have done fair a bit of site tig and there is always bad habits that develop. If you promise not to tell the tigstapo, then yes while I usually cut tungstens I have been known to clamp firm with mig pliers and swing a chisel on to it. Cleanish snap.
I can not recall whether that was the case with this one.
I was only running 120 or so amps so was suprised. I seemed to also get the whole tunsten glowing, like glowing bright orange for at least a second or two after.
I went and got a diamond wheel grinder, wow that made a nice grind and glow was very different. I have never stressed too hard about it as long as it was a good point and a straight grind, but didnt expect it to make such a difference. I only went through and sharpened about 10 of my other older ones to test the grinder out and it went really well they all came out bright clean and sharp.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Could be a snapped tungsten then, causes little micro fractures that pop open And grow when the tungsten gets hot.

Not the end of the world just a habit your going to have to shake off or deal with split tungstens here and there [emoji14]

And yes a diamond wheel definitely helps alot. I grind on a diamond wheel on a little 3" bench grinder I picked up for 20 bucks. Works well enough for the total cost.

Looks like your tungsten could also do with a bit more post flow while cooling down. If you can adjust it bump it up bit by bit till you get left with a shiny tungsten.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gdarc21

Cheers for the tips, definitely will tweak the gas. Am playing with gas levels now with different cups/ lenses etc I am running 10litres per min now so I think about 21cfh, I usually run this on sched pipe and put it up slightly for 309 stuff. Most of my staino is dissimilar metals work, so it never looks 'gorgeous'. That being said I would be keen to nab a straight clean 304 or 316 contract to tune in my gas and gear for staino. Any hints on a safe gas flow with a lens? as I always run a lens, Id bet we all do. The grinder was Ozito job from bunnings, I think its harbour frieght over there. All the reviews said it was crap.......but it is designed as a drill chisel sharpener and as that, it is crap. But while they think its crap I got it cheap. Its Ozito here chicago electric there, I checked.
So I will get better behaved with tungsten care.
Thanks alot for that.