Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Is that possible? If so how is it done? Anyone know? Please feel free to express your thoughts. Thanks guys. And please Jody if your looking please lend your thoughts.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Tig welding copper is done everyday. I use to do it in a shop that made bus bars and electric furnaces. What type of copper material are you considering. (size, shape)
If you are talking anything over an 1/8 inch thick and with some surface area, prepare to get HOT. You will need argon or argon/helium gas, Minimun 1/8" tungsten and you definitely will need a watercooled torch. Also, you will probably max out your machine output depending on what you have. As for material, you will want a de-oxidized copper. :D
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Ok well the torch isn't water cooled at all so I won't be able to do it. I wish it was but they won't want to spend more cash on the equipment.
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

I used to weld copper a lot. We did work for a company that made crosses for the steeple on churches. They would take them and have them gold plated.

It was pretty easy, there can be a lot of distortion in some alloys. Ya have to experiment a little. But like said look for de-oxidized copper. There are good copper welding rods too that have deoxidents in them.

Like said, lots of preheat and you can use an air-cooled torch just has to be one that is huge. Even a water cooled torch will get hot. You can make tea with the water. :D

Here is some good reference material. http://www.brazing.com/techguide/proced ... elding.asp
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.