Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

Has anyone noticed varying degrees of gas coverage with different brands of gas lenses? I switch between two brands myself and I have found that one of these delivers far better argon coverage than the other. The one that's not so good requires me to limit my tungsten stick-out to about 1/4" whereas the other one gets me up to 3/4" stick-out, if not more. And in my work, I'm often working in super-tight corners that require a bit more stick-out. Generally, I'm using a #9 glass lens and my setup is stubby-style.

Just curious if anyone else has noticed a similar phenomena. Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and all gas lenses are created equal?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Gas lenses do vary in quality and effectiveness. There’s no disputing that.

But, gas lenses are not “sized” by a #, they’re sized by tungsten diameter.

If your comment about gas coverage and stick out is related to the cup size, rule of thumb is equal distance out as diameter of cup. A #9 cup I’ve never seen. A TIG torch style of a 9 is a common size for lower amp welding.

A 9 torch with a #5 cup and collet body would be a tidy little setup. Stick out should then be limited to about 1/4”. If you need 3/4” stick out, you need to bump up to a #12 or #16 cup and crank the argon flow up to ~30-40cfh.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

ekbmuts wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:08 pm Has anyone noticed varying degrees of gas coverage with different brands of gas lenses? I switch between two brands myself and I have found that one of these delivers far better argon coverage than the other.
yes, a lot of cheap ones out there perform badly. thats why i recommend known good brands even if it costs more. most people don't ruin gas lenses so they last a long time.
i usually stuff up a lens because of welding dirty material, but a cheap way around that is use something like ck gas saver (yes they have a stubby version) as that has a cheap replaceable screen (buy them in packs).
tweak it until it breaks
ekbmuts
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:48 pm

tweake and cj737, thanks for that. Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering from potentially inferior gas lenses.

My workable setup, btw, is a 26 torch, 3/32" stubby gas lens, No. 9 quartz nozzle (yep - it's definitely a No. 9) with a 3/32 LaYZr tungsten.

The gas-saver kits sound interesting and I'm going to invest in some. Thanks for the tip.