Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
RFD
  • RFD
    Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm having some real trouble with poor arc initiation on my Syncrowave 350. At low-mid amperage the machine just doesn't like to start an arc and spits all over the place. I'm welding a lot of really thin (.028" - .035" max) 304, 4130 and some .065" 6061. Same thing in both AC and DC.

To rule out all the dumb stuff;

I've vacuumed the machine, put on a new torch, ground cable, consumables, flowmeter, etc. Even new points and properly adjusted the spark gaps. Properly ground Sylvania tungsten and low flow rate for argon at 12CFH.

PLEASE HELP! My welds look like crap and I'm getting more distortion than I'd like because I'm having to floor the pedal to start everything, and keep that arc where i want it.

Thanks!

Richard
capozzoli
    Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:07 pm

What size tungsten are you using? It can happen if the tungsten is to big.

Are you using a water color?
Welding everything from the crack of dawn to a broken heart.
RFD
  • RFD

yep, 20 Torch on a bernard cooler. Using either .040" or 1/16" tungsten
capozzoli

Hmmm,

Do you know if distilled water or coolant only has been used in the water cooler? Because when regular water is used in them it can cause several problems especially with constant current. Calcium and other minerals can build up in the power line.

Other then that, I am stumped
RFD
  • RFD

using weld cooler specific glycol coolant :(
capozzoli

Try posting this over at the weldingweb. There are a lot of people that know how to service machines and there are specific categories for equipment.

I am looking forward to hearing what the problem is.
RFD
  • RFD

thanks so much. I too, look forward to hearing of a solution!