Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Smokin32
    Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:22 pm

Hi everyone!

I am a total noob when it comes to welding, in fact I've so far had a total time of about 2 mins behind a tig before I decided to get a really expensive rig in the Dynasty 200dx. Its just way too much fun welding and I simply want to learn how to do it and the tig is very artist friendly (which is my hobby). I also want the more robust Dynasty because I have an opportunity to really use it in a variety of applications. I am a contractor who started working at a prop house where they fabricate and repair alot of antiques and different types of furniture. I have no doubt that I will be working on their inventory if I can become proficient in the Dynasty which is why I want to get it and start playing already! Here is the problem, I need help in figuring out what I might need or want. Do I just want to get the complete package that miller puts out or might I want to by more select parts and get a better bang for the buck? Will I regret not paying a little more for a torch or some dohickey vs just getting what is included in the package?

OK, here is where Im at right now.....

Miller Dynasty 200 DX wireless TIG Package 951397... is $5000 not including helmet, gas, and rods

it comes with
Dynasty® 200 DX power source
10 ft (3 m) primary cord
(2) Dinse 50 mm connectors
2-Wheel Trolley Cart
Coolmate™ 1 Cooler 120VAC
Coolant (1 gallon)
Wireless Foot Control and Receiver
25 ft (7.6 m) Weldcraft® WP20 water-cooled torch
Torch accesory kit with tungsten
Sheilding Cups
Collets-1/16, 3/32, 1/8
Collet Bodies-1/16, 3/32, 1/8
2% Cerium Tungsten-1/16, 3/32, 1/8
15 ft (4.6 m) work lead w/clamp
10 ft (3 m) gas hose
Smith Regulator/flowmeter
Torch Cable Cover

But option number two might be....
Dynasty 200DX power source + Wireless foot pedal + cooler for $4100
That would leave 900 for "torch and junk" to make it all work (not including helmet and gas).

Would I be better off getting the "torch and junk" on my own, or will I have a tough time beating what is included in the complete miller package? The trolley I can care less about frankly since I have all the scrap metal and tires to make my own and I figure thats a perfect noob project anyway. I know the wireless foot pedal is an "extravagance", but its one I think will be appreciated at the job site considering logistics.

Contrary to how this post looks, Im not rich and just making an expensive purchase because I can, its actually the opposite. I believe in getting quality tools that last and from my research Miller fits that bill for welding. In construction my goto brand is always Dewalt because Ive learned that spending a little more on a tool can actually mean saving alot more with a reliable tool that can get the job done in great fashion. While a Dynasty might be more machine than a hobbyist or noob can appreciate, its my hope that I can grow into a welder that can utilize a dynasty properly and not spend and extra $1500-2000 for an intermidiary machine while I get there to learn my way. Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I would go with the entire package for 5k. That way you know you have just about everything you will need right there. It can be frustrating to have to keep running back to the supplier for little things you didn't think you needed in the first place. I agree that that you could make your own cart and the wireless foot pedal is an extravagance, but hey, why fight it? I've known people who have made their own carts and the first thing they do is buy the cheapest casters they can find and they wind up with a cart that won't move very well.

You could probably get it for cheaper, too. Check the prices of every supplier. Places like Airgas will usually match the lowest price and may take off more if you're going to get all of your gas and other consumables there, too.

Steve
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
Smokin32

Thank you for the feedback.

Now that its time to pull the trigger, Ive been doing alot more researching into prices and options and I think Im going to want to part things out and get a better "bang for he buck" for the same cost.
I've known people who have made their own carts and the first thing they do is buy the cheapest casters they can find and they wind up with a cart that won't move very well.
Yeah, but when I look at Miler's cart, it does not inspire confidence. I have some spare pneumatic 10" wheels hat are far from cheap which is why I now would rather build my own. These things can easily ignore cables and wires and many obsticles.

Question: Do I need Miller's water cooler? Seems like its a pretty simple thing........., a pump, water, and coolant and Im wondering if Id be better off buying a knock off brand for less? I'm imagining that with a $500 budget for a water cooling system, I can make a bitchin rig if its as simple as I think and hope it is.
delraydella

You probably don't need their specific cooler. There are pictures here of home built coolant systems, BUT you should use Millers' coolant, or a coolant designed for tig torches. There have been discussions about this and there are adverse effects to the weld by using coolant not made specifically for welding. If I can find those topics, I'll post the link to them for you.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

I bought my dynasty 200 2 years ago and pieced it together with the acc. I wanted. I have no regrets. It's for tig only so bought just machine and what I wanted for tig it is air cooled. Sometimes it gets a little too hot with aluminum but its not a big problem .
cuflipn
    Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 pm

I am in this exact boat! (well very close LOL no water cooler)

I am also looking at buying a Dynasty 200DX (next week gas cooled for now) and was asking myself this very question... The Miller "Contractor pack" seems to have more then I would need and use.

I will be doing only TIG with it and have little experience. Mostly Aluminum and Chromoly tube and plate around .120 to .095 wall.
So I am not sure what all is really needed beyond the power source.

Would it be easier/ better to just pick-up the unit ($2958.00) then get the rest individually?

What would be needed?
Dynasty 200DX
Flow meter/ hoses (what kind is best...)
Foot peddle (what kind is best...)
Torch (what one is best fit for most jobs...)
Grounding cable...

Is there anything else? If someone can make a list to help us newbies do some research it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry if Im high jacking your thread :?:
Smokin32

Sorry if Im high jacking your thread :?:
DONT BE! I'm glad Im not alone here scratching my head raw. I'm still shopping here and there and looking to see what can develope and am still scared to pull the trigger, but this is where I am leaning so far........

Dyanasty Power Unit. 3k
Miller Coolmate $500
Wirless Foot Control $600 ( I may go with a regular foot pedal generic for $180 and spend the savings on more rods for practice)
Cheap low cost flow meter and gase hose $70

Miller RMS-14 On/Off Control 187208 $150 (for consistent tacking results)
Tweco Electrode Holder & Cable Assembly $30 (incase I want to try stick welding)
Anti freeze coolant for miller coolmate
Weldcraft 2% Thoriated Tungsten Electrode $60 (for different sizes) I wish there was a place to get a few electrodes to try out rather than 10 per package
WELDTEC WT-20-25 250 AMP WATER COOLED TIG TORCH 25' $100 (ebay torch)
140A Micro TIG Torch W/ 12.5' SuperFlex Cables $250!!! (I like the idea of having a small torch for detail delecate work and crafts types of projects, but I am still hopefull I can find a cheaper micro torch somewhere.
Welding bottle and helmet $300

The confusing thing for me now is the ground clamp
Magnetic clamp or regular jaw type clamps are easy to find , but how do I connect it to the dynasty? Could I use a regular jumper cable #4 wire and connect it to the dinse or just make it fit somehow, or do I need some adapter or something?

The most confusing purchase is the collects and cups and stuff. Ive heard good things about a gas lens, do I have to find one to fit my specific torch (Weld tec 20). They come in all kinds of packages and shapes, I would like to buy a set to try out to see what I like and how I like it, but its hard to understand if what I get will work with what I am buying.

Cart (I will make)
delraydella

My advice....

Don't cheap out on the flowmeter. I would even recomend that you get a regular dial type regulator. They are much easier to set the right gas flow when you are just starting out.

Get the better brass ground clamp. Don't use the cheap stamped steel one Miller gives you. You can unbolt the lug on the pressed steel one, cut off the lug, strip the insulation back and put it into the new brass one. There is also an adaptor for the euro style dinse plug to a Tweco style plug. Your supplier will (should) have one in stock.

When you go to buy the collets and cups, they'll need to know the specific torch make and model #. The collets go with a specific electrode diameter and the numbers on the cup correspond to the opening in the cup. You probably won't need much beyond a 1/16th, a 3/32 and an 1/8th inch collet to start out with. Thats a pretty good general size range for up to 1/8th inch material. I would also get a #5, #6 and a #7cup to start out with. The cups and collets aren't all that expensive so you can add as you need them. The gas lens is really handy for aluminum.

Steve
Smokin32

Trigger pulled! OK, now to get the stuff and start welding stuff. Question about cups though, they are listed as a consumable, does that mean they wear out?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi there,

They dont exactly "wear out" however the are fragile and get brittle with heavy use. Also if you are welding some less than clean material, the can get clogged with stuff that can effect the gas flow, most times ive tried to clean them out they just break.

Mick.