Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

hi guys-hey was just looking at some web sites on tig welding...got the pure argon thing down...what iam doing is useing my lincoln ac dc welder(tombstone) to learn to tig by using this crude old scool method....so my mig gas wont work......will my gas regulators work on the argon for tigging????I see flow meters on the tig set ups....or will the pure argon not hook to my mig bottle.....or will things as jody says"kill my ass"
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Your mix-gas regulator/flowmeter will work just fine on straight argon. Same threads and fittings (for the same size bottle). Straight argon and 75/25 are so close in viscosity there's no need to correct the reading on your current flowmeter. (75/25 is slightly "thicker", so the actual flow with argon will be slightly higher than indicated. [The flowmeter's ball won't be lifted as high by an equal flow of a less viscous fluid.])

Or, if you have a "gauge" type flowmeter, as opposed to the floating ball, you should have no correction at all, as it is essentially two regulators in series with the second serving as a difference between the first regulator (tank) and atmosphere, making the flow rate dependent on the viscosity of the gas.

If your flowmeter doesn't match a typical argon bottle, you can simply replace the fitting. The supplier will have the proper fittings to mate to the bottle for a few bucks, and all you'll need is a little teflon tape and a wrench.

Hope this makes sense.

Steve
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

thanks steve it does make sense...I could of gone to one of our tech schools for courses but iam a mistake learner learn by mistake....then once I have a little know how I seek out the pros for the good criticing...Iam learning to tig cause no one else does it in my little circle of body men they all mig ..stick...some can braze...torches...and the like....so iam a little long on the tooth to be learning new tricks but when i saw the vid on the tombstone welder I said I will try that....so iam trying to just get my feet wet in tig..thanks for the info...st.morgan

p.s you guys have an excellent site glad i found it..