Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

hi guys- reading some of the post on wearing gloves...and yes definetly wear them ...heres on ive never heard on a forum...I watched my wife pull a roast pork out of a 500 degree oven with a "ove glove" so I stole her old one and bought her a new one...and took the old one to the laboratory...and miged....plasma cut 1/4 steel even a little stick".....and that damn ove glove worked better then any pair Ive owned....when showing this glove to a freind he said no way so i handed him my little map torch and put my hand up and said lite it up...he was amazed that my hand didnt cook.and so was I.....now dont get me wrong I would hate to have some molten steel fall on my hand cause I think it would burn ya but not like leather....and iam gonna try it when tig welding cause the tig gloves are so so so well you know cumbersum??? st.morgan

Interesting ... I never thought of that. I don't use those heavy welding gloves because they as just too cumbersome I use the standard leather gloves until the threads burn and they start to fall apart ... needless to say, I go through a lot of gloves ... let us know how the "ove glove" works out with TIG. :shock:
... going as fast as I can with one eye closed.
Everlast Powertig 200DX
Miller Thunderbolt 225
Lincoln 180c Mig
Hobart Handler 125
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

hey winky...the ove glove works like a charm still a little bulky but not heat on the hand...iam trying to get another one from wifey but it isn't gonna be easy :lol: crank.it
mstanley
    Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:12 pm

Finding the proper gloves for you to use will actually be critical in making and working something out. And though it would be generic to use something right of the bat, it would also be important to choose something that would be of a better and stronger suit when compared to the other options.

Just hope that would be something that could be more available and out on the open.
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I suppose if the oven gloves still let you feed your filler rod through your fingers, then go for it!
I think if you found yourself a nice pair of thin leather gloves that fitted well, you'd prefer them.
The only oven gloves i have seen are big multi layered 'wooley' type material which i don't think would make feeding the rod easy.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The "Ove Glove" he's referring to is a high-temp silicone glove, as opposed to a fabric "mitt". They're form-fitting, and not as thick as you'd expect.

Personally, I wear the thinnest gloves I can for the job, and sometimes none at all. (Sunblock, please!)

Steve S