Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
martinr
    Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:45 pm

In the Lincoln GTAW handbook they state the butt joint in the vertical position should be welded vertical down. I checked with them and they said it's to allow gravity to pull the pool thereby ensuring good penetration - and it's quicker. When I finally found a reasonably comfortable position to try this out, I could see their point. I then asked if this reads across to the other joints (T, lap, edge, corner) in the vertical and didn't get a clear answer.

I'd be grateful for any advice on TIG welding in the vertical and whether vertical up or down should be used..

Martin
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey mate.

When you are welding, with any process, the individual job will deligate whether you must travel up or down. Ie thin sheet metal corners can be welded down hill but High pressure high quality pipe welds will most likely be welded up hill. So therefore you should learn how to do both.

Mick
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Martin,

Mick is right with learning them both. Personally, I like to weld up hill. Just seem to get a better bead and know it's burned in because I can see it much clearer. Also, most companies will have a weld procedure that will dictate how it's to be welded. If it's just a everyday part that needs welded, up to you!
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

It really depends on the application and material thickness. Like mick said for sheet metal down hill works way better and its definetely faster, but for critical applications on thicker material up hill is the way to go. At the the shop I work at most our stuff is sheet metal and we weld every thing downhill and have no problems with getting water tight and low pressure tight welds. But on some of the half inch al. plate mounting brankets we do, I will either weld up hill for butt welds and horizonal for t joints.
martinr
    Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Many thanks for all your kind advice and clarification. Very much appreciated.

Martin
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

No worries mate, thats how we roll at welding tips and tricks. ;-)
Mick
Landyman
    Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

When i was taught to arc weld at college many years ago, i was told to ALWAYS weld upwards, and 'maintain the onion'.
So i've always welded upwards, when welding anything.
It's only since i started working as a welder again about a year ago that i saw, tried and now nearly always tig and migweld downwards as what we do, frankly doesn't matter either way.
It is handy to be able to o both though.
I have to weld an aluminium fillet joint at college soon, and i am not looking forward to it.
I hope i'll feel more confident once i've cracked the butt joint penetration problem :shock: