Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

I have seen Jody mention using a small piece of Scotch Brite to diffuse the Argon on TIG welding. What is actually happening here ???
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

With a standard collet-body, the gas is emitted from two holes in the body, at high velocity, which induces turbulence. Picture the gas leaving the cup like a little tornado, stirring ambient air into the mix. A relatively high gas flow is required so this mixing occurs well outside the weld zone.

Jody's Scotchbrite idea (I'd prefer Stainless steel wool for heat tolerence) absorbs the kinetic energy of the gas flow and smooths it out. Less gas is required to cover the weld zone, as less mixing occurs.

This is my theory on the subject, so take it for what it's worth.

Steve
Odyknuck
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Sounds like it does what a gas lense is designed to do.
RedIron881
    Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:29 am

Steve is right on the money with what's going on with the scotchbrite. It does do the same thing as a gas lens but it comes in handy when a lens cup wont fit in the space needed to be welded. I also agree with Steve about using stainless wool for higher amps. One thing to watch out for with the wool though is packing it too tight in the cup can really restrict the gas flow giving you terrible results. I always have a few cups in my box with both SB or wool ready to go just in case a tricky spot comes up.
Matthanna
    Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:05 am

The stainless wool is really better and will be easily fit inside the cup and Its also better compared to SB.
The markets of Australia is famous for clothing materials and the oniese are in recent fashion trends.
Odyknuck
    Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Where can you buy the SS Wool?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Odyknuck wrote:Where can you buy the SS Wool?
Usually, the same aisle as dish soap and/or oven cleaner. Even the really coarse stuff that looks like a very neat ball of drill-press shavings will help. Read carefully, though, as some of the finer stuff has detergent built in, like an SOS pad, and that's a disaster in the making.

You can probably get the industrial stuff from a local Fastenall or Grainger, or whatever you have for general industrial supply. Failing that, check a dedicated paint store, like Sherwin-Williams.

Steve S
arclight
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Has anyone experienced the heat effecting the ScotchBrite? Like melting?
under the hood
    Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 am

Is this little idea for tig welding in general or just certain cituations? I have never used a gas lense, so if im missing out on a helpful tip to help aid in better tig welding please fill me in. thanks, Eric