Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

After watching Jody's video about the CK Worldwide Flex-Loc TIG torch I decided to purchase one. I found a good price at weldfabulous.com. The torch came with a SuperFlex cable. Wow is it flexible! And slippery. I tried to drape it over my forearm as I do with my old cable but it just slips off. Still, it is quite light so I can deal with that. I decided that it would be great with my mini WP9 torch. So I decided to try it.

It seems that CK uses a proprietary thread size on their torches. The torch end of the cable will not fit any of my other torches (Weldcraft and generic). I studied the CK web site and several of their documents which were available for download. NOWHERE does it indicate that a proprietary thread is used. Nor does it even show the thread size. The Flex-loc torch is certainly unique and I am sure it will come in handy for many jobs. However, I do not think I will purchase any other CK products.

Ken

p.s. Does anyone know of an adapter to connect a CK cable to the torches made by the rest of the world?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Are you trying to fit the flex head to a different torch body? It doesn't look like you're supposed to do that.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Are you trying to fit the flex head to a different torch body?
Oh no. I simply disconnected the tail end of the CK torch from the power cable/hose and wished to connect a different torch to the power cable/hose. I contacted CK by email and they replied promptly. It seems that for some reason they chose to use a metric thread on the connection between the power cable and the torch. The support person admitted that this was not one of their better decisions. The CK power cable is thus incompatible with "normal" torches from Weldcraft etc. which use a 3/8" - 24 thread.

I guess what aggravated this situation was the fact that I have a Miller Diversion 165. It is a great welder and has done everything I have asked of it. The only down sides I have found are the Weldcraft finger tip control torch which Miller chose (a personal preference, I added a foot pedal) and the fact that the power cable/hose is hard wired into the machine. In addition to the CK torch I purchased the necessary parts to custom mount a power block inside the machine so I could "hard wire" the CK superflex cable in place of the original cable. However, that would limit me to only using the CK torch without tearing the welder apart and reinstalling the original cable.

I guess it is time to upgrade to a Dynasty 200 DX. Does anyone want to buy a 3 year old Diversion with foot pedal and cover? I have only run two 160 cf bottle of argon through it.

Seriously, the Diversion is available for sale. I almost had a Dynasty last week - a showroom display model from a local LWS. The price was fantastic. However, when I went to the branch to buy it - it must have been on display in Afghanistan - it was dirty, scuffed, dented and had apparently been hooked up, perhaps used and was missing the various connectors and other bits which were supposed to be included. Something told me to run not walk to the door and I did!

Ken