Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MeatHead
    Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:34 am

I only perform TIG Welding and the standard pipe-liner fixed-shade helmet with Gold / Amber lense and 1.5x magnifier has been my only helmet for a few years now. However, after working on car projects in tight spaces, I feel a better helmet that doesn't require me to flip the helmet and gives me more view area will help my work efficiency. My first welding teacher also highly recommended a good Auto Darkening helmet to me, but it was out of my budget back then.

This Northern Industrial 1644910 caught my attention because it's available at my local Northern Tool store and also affordable (<$125). But does anyone know where I can get an amber shaded ("gold colored") lens (helps me see weld puddle easier) and a 1.75x magnifier lens that will fit? Also, what do you weld gurus think about this helmet?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200416894

Alternative helmets with "amber" lens shades, whatcha think?:
http://www.safetywholesaledepot.com/cat ... 277557.htm

Thanks for everyone's help in this community and HAPPY NEW YEAR to YOU all! :mrgreen:
Merki
    Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I think this might be a good helmet based on the specs. What I do think is great is the replaceable batteries ensure that power is always available. Some of the AD helmets do not allow you to easily replace batteries. I have seen some threads elsewhere regarding this issue. If the helmet is not working real well it can be that one battery is weak. Not weak enough to make it not work but weak enough to cause some issues. I would love to hear someone talk on the topic of coloured lenses too.
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Meathead.

For tight spots the leather helmets work fine.

Alexa
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

With current "auto-dark" technology, you have little choice. To paraphrase Henry Ford, you can have any color you want, as long as it's green.

I have no doubt they're working on this, as different colors work better for different purposes.

My usual solution is to use very bright ambient light and a shade #8 with UV blocking glasses to prevent flashburn. I'm also a big fan of SPF-45 for confined-area work, so reflections don't burn me. (I TIG in short sleeves most of the time!)

Steve S