Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Here is a picture from a somewhat dated welding text book. It looks like some sort of Miller machine. Perhaps an Aerowave(?) I have pulled several Miller manuals and have not found exactly what model it is. Can anyone tell me what the "High frequency adjuster" is for?
hf.jpg
hf.jpg (227.42 KiB) Viewed 535 times
Sorry if the image quality is sub-par. Best I could scan and upload (and the book was not too good to start with). The scale behind the knob appears to run from 0 to 100.

TIA,

Ken
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I don't recognize the machine, but since the control seems marked in percentage and labled high-frequency, it's probably "arc balance".

It could be a frequency adjustment, but I doubt it. That option usually has a lot of other bells and whistles with it, and this seems to be a fairly basic model.

Steve S
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Steve S,

By the size and bulk of this machine I would suspect is is a transformer, not an inverter. But I don't think it is that basic. There are some more adjustments on the main panel peeking out from behind the raised cover. I doubt that AC balance would be hidden behind the cover as it is something which might be tweaked frequently. And a transformer machine cannot adjust the balance more than a few percent. That said, I pulled down some more manuals. The Synchrowave 500 manual, dated December 2001, shows such a control although not in the same spot. It states
3-9. High Frequency Controls
High Frequency Intensity Control (see Section 2-9)
Use control to change amount of HF energy used to start and maintain the arc. Set as low as practical to prevent interfering with electronic equipment. Numbers around the control are for reference only.
Section 2-9 of course says simply "See 3-9"; real helpful. This shows me two things 1) What my mystery control is for and 2) Miller owners' manuals have not improved over time. (I have a couple of rants over on the Miller forum about the poor organization of the manual for my Dynasty 200DX - circular references, important bits of information seemingly scattered at random throughout the manual.)

Well, mystery solved. Thanks again Steve S!

Ken