Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:22 am

Been working with tig for about 2 months now. This was the second attempt at razor blades. Had a rough start cause I actually had the amps too low lol. Once I kicked it up to about 5 amps, it went pretty smooth. I was using 308 .030 mig wire.

Nick
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Not bad, Its the really thin stuff that sorts the men/ women from the boys/girls

Mick
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Nice job! I am working on my skills with welding very thin metals. What electrode diameter did you use for this welding? Thanks!

Jim

I was using 1/16 1.5% lanthanated ground to a needle point
Nick
NYWELDERJim
    Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

Thanks! Have you tried welding using a 0.040" or 0.020" dia. tungsten? I am thinking for material the thickness of the zazor blades, a 0.040" dia. electrode ground to a needle point might give better control.

NYWELDERJim wrote:Thanks! Have you tried welding using a 0.040" or 0.020" dia. tungsten? I am thinking for material the thickness of the zazor blades, a 0.040" dia. electrode ground to a needle point might give better control.
That hump on the right side of the blade was because I couldn't get the blades to actually melt. Saw em gettin red hot but just not melting. Went from 3 to 5 amps (I don't have an amptrol) and it got better. I still had all the time in the world though till I got to the end and ran into heat build up. I don't have smaller tungstens and don't believe they would've helped.
Nick