Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
watermelon
    Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

Hi All,

I came across an Eastwood Tig 200 on CL and bought it with cart and tungsten rods for $450. This thing looks brand new. I am only a hobbyist and did some mig welding many moons ago.

It has a wp17 torch and extra collets and foot pedal. Looks to have everything except intruction manual.

Anyhow, went to local welding shop and got some 100% argon and rod and started trying to lay some bead down.

This looks like it is gonna require patience.

I am wanting to tig some 0.030 sheet metal for some fuel tank modifications (tossing in an electric fuel pump). Any recommendations?

Looks like crap huh? :lol:

Just came across Jody's Youtube channel and signed right up for the forum
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum.

That is a perfect buy for a hobbyist such as your self. At a nice price too.

You are right, It will take lots of practice and patience . My advice is to get some thicker material (1/8 inch - 3mm at least) and crank up the amps to get your eye in. it will be easyier to practice on thicker stuff than really thin. When you can lay a nice weld you can start going thinner.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, watermelon,

Nice buy!

While you are working on your skills, there's a topic here specifically about welding fuel tanks, and how not to go "boom". I'll try to dig it up for you, if Mick doesn't beat me to it.

Unless you're modifying a new, never fueled tank, it's IMPORTANT information. When I find it, I'll edit it into this reply.

Edit:
Try this:

http://forum.weldingtipsandtricks.com/v ... hilit=fuel

It's about aluminum, but all the safety information applies.

Steve S
watermelon
    Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for the link to the safety info.

I will be welding on a new fuel tank so I should be good. I just don't wanna burn up the edges on the welds.

Time to practice on scrap first.