Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
foamballer
    Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:57 am

Just watched Jody's MIG like TIG and saw the topic was closed for comment, so I'll open one here. Sorta reminds me of a thread I saw on some other forum on "Pretty Welds" (some were really nice, I have to say !). Anyway, I reckon the whole stack of dimes thing gets a bit too exaggerated. It's great to see very regular technique as evidenced by regular weld ridges, but honestly, I reckon it takes a lot more skill to TIG a fillet with minimal variation in the weld profile along its length. I'd rather see TIG like MIG !
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

Tig like mig is really easy. At my shop we mostly do turn table style welding. Most of the guys leave the the rod in the puddle and feed fast using a small rod, most of their welds ends up looking like mig welds. Personally I hate that look so I dip everything but you can do it dipping as well. Some of our large stuff is done on a robotic welder which used pulse, but I am certified to manually do them, so I have to match that look, just have to dip extremely fast to matches the pulsed robotic look which looks like a mig weld.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I need to dig in my pics. I can show you some TIG like MIG. I've many welds in my history where my feed and advance are so constant (and hot) that the welds look MIGged.

Steve S