Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
smokeydave
    Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm

Went to welding school in the eighties, mostly one-inch plates for cert. then got a job in a powerplant and never welded much after that . After watching Jodi's artful welding I got the itch to start tig welding again. I saw somewhere a guy gave the info on the proper Y-fitting for adding helium with the argon to get a little more out of my welder on aluminum but I can't find the reference anywhere. I need some hoses, a y-fitting and other fittings and the article I read had all the proper numbers of these items. I have a synchro 180(the old one without balance adj.) and I want to try to weld some thicker al. I'm retired and just weld for fun, my own projects, but would like to improve my welding to do other people's as well but I don't want them to show them to other people if they look like crap! Anybody got any info on the #'s for the Y and other stuff ? The welding store I've been going to wont even sell me any helium,what, to many clowns with helium balloons?
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

i tryed to get helium locally and they tell its not going to happen. they claim there is a helium shortage. weather that is true or not, i cant get any. they claim for 2013 for sure and maybe longer.
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi Smokeydave, welcome to the site.

Why not just have a bottle filled with argon/helium mix? Then you can use the setup you already have.

Just thinking out loud here... :)
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

The helium shortage is a myth.

I have an inside line with two major producers.

What's happening is helium conservation for major customers; Those who use helium in quantity.

Helium is a by-product of natural gas mining, which is on the up-tick, so there is no shortage. The majors are simply reserving He for their big users, including NASA, major satellite builders, and the semi-conductor industry.

"Balloon" helium is still widely available, but is not pure enough for welding needs.

Look for an APCI (Air Products) distributer, and you'll have better odds, though it won't be cheap.

Steve S
smokeydave
    Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:18 pm

thanks for the info on helium/argon, I'll check it out. Smokey
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

W
Hey,

Welcome to the forum, smokey.... I hope the nick name smokey doesnt come from a welding related mishap. :lol:

Mick