Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nova_70_383
    Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:51 pm

i want to know if any others are experimenting with frequency's lower then 60 hz. i been finding in certain circumstances it seems to useful. i realize the new inverter machines advantage is higher then 60hz frequency, edge welds and build up work the 40-60 hz range seems to work out nicely and is much easier on the ears as well. just curious what others have found. i work with two machines, at my day job its a dynasty700, at home i have a everlast 250ex. thanks for any input.
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Jody has a video that I recently watched where he actually reduced the ac frq for better results. The problem is I can't remember which it is???????? Might of been the alum casting one, not sure though.

But to comment: If increasing the frq to narrow the heat focus, then maybe reducing it would be useful in heating/cleaning a larger area prior to running the actual bead??? Don't know really for sure, but it might be worth trying some day.

I got the 250EX too and I really, really, really like it a lot. Curious how you like yours compared to the Miller Dynasty?
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
nova_70_383

lets face it, the dynasty is probably the 350/700 best new machine money can buy. the ability to adjust on the AC side is amazing. watch some of the videos on millers site with chris razor... but look how much money you have to spend to get even the dynasty 350. for most of us working guys/gals, its quite a stretch. when i was in the market to buy a machine i had to consider the fact that i was so used to welding on with the dynasty, and was it going to be hard to please me. after a long tough decision i picked the everlast 250ex. when i got the machine and and began to use it, i was more pleased the more i used it. the machine is a little different then the dynasty, but it is just as capable! for the size, price, and bang for buck factor the machine amazes me. pushed it on 1/4" copper, 1/2" aluminum plate, 1/4" steel. the low end is as good as gets, weld razor blades no problem. i got lucky and had no mechanical problems with the machine. the only problem i had was the potentiometer in the foot pedal failed. tech got me fixed by telling me what part to look for locally. i up graded to the ssc pedal anyway, but wanted to fix the original one for a back up. i opted to get some different torches and the everlast water cooler. not a must have but makes it alot nicer. if you have any other questions please ask!
ajlskater1
    Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:32 am

The video you are thinking of was,when Jody welded some 1 inch thick aluminum and used the lower freq to get more heat into the part so he could weld it. I really like the lower frequency for for almost everything, outside corner joints and butt welds especially. There is some times where being able to adjust your frequency way up is nice, like on really thin aluminum t joints. I worked at a shop and welded aluminum for four years with.that dynasty 700. They are awesome machines but for most of your everyday welding I like the lower frequency and don't need anything more than 60.
nova_70_383

i agree 100% about being able to adjust....most of my adjusting is with the frequency. it great tool in the tool belt like jody would say!