Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

hi folks - ran into a little situation yesterday was migging some bed rails and ran out of gas 90/5/5 argon ....I switched to use my 100% tig argon it worked is their any reason you cant mig with 100% argon???
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

It depends both on the material and the method.

For short-circuit MIG on steel, 100% argon sucks, particularly on stainless. Poor penetration, and difficulty welding out of the flat position.

For aluminum, 100% argon is commonly used for MIG, requiring a slightly higher machine setting to give the same penetration as a mix-gas with helium.

For Globular transfer and spray-arc, I don't know enough about alternate gasses to guide you.

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks, Alexa,

That was worth the read!

Steve S
crank.it
    Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 pm

thanks alexa ...I did read the article and that would explain the kinda pourous non penetrating bead...using the 100% argon in a pinch ok but the mix for mig is definetly the way to go...so we will re weld the bed rails for safety if nothing else thanks folks....st.morgan