Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
John Gabriel
    Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 am

I am having issues welding aluminum. I am using a dynasty 350 with argon gas. I point the tip of the tungsten and clean the material with acetone. When I create a puddle and go to add filler rod the filler rod balls up and will not melt into the puddle. What am I doing wrong?!?!? It's driving me crazy
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi John - a picture will help especially to the more experienced ally guys on here ( not me then ! ) but on the obvious causes.
1 incompatible filler rod
2 contaminated / dirty filler rod
3 Most likely if your new (ish ) to ally or job is awkward shape - torch angle too shallow - heat is traveling from the torch sufficient distance it's melting the filler rod before it is within the gas shield area - gas lense will help - more gas flow will help - but most likely you need the torch angle much closer to upright than you think you can see to weld - possibly arc length is too long & possibly rod angle needs to be lower - like rod 10 >15 degrees from horizontal & torch 75 > 80 degrees.
Hope this helps.
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Once you get an actual puddle started on the parent metal, you should be able to at least feed the filler at the leading edge of the molten puddle, instead of trying to drip fill simultaneously. You often have to do this welding aluminum or when the torch angle cannot be optimized. Get a good puddle started before adding filler. Sneak the filler into the edge of the puddle and let it get drawn in. At any rate, this is almost always a torch angle issue if all other things are normal, or not using enough heat on the start to get a good puddle started before trying to add filler.

I could say this never happens to me, but my shoe laces would give me away.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I understand the "shoe laces" remark. :oops:

I agree torch angle is the likely culprit. I TIG a lot of steel, where I can walk the cup (or free-hand) with plenty of stick-out, and a sharp angle. This simply does not work with aluminum. The cup must be within 75* of the material, and preferably near 90*, or the heat blown ahead of the torch will ball the filler every time, even outside the gas coverage.

At 90*, you have broad gas coverage (for aluminum I flow 30-35 cfh, even through a gas lens), so you can keep the rod a good 3/4" from the puddle until you're ready to add. Then "dab", and get out. Advance the torch, and repeat. It takes a good bit more motion on your rod hand than with steel.

One other thought... Use one size larger filler than you think you need.

Keep trying. Once it comes to you, it'll be second nature.

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Naughty, Tam & Otto.

Excellent posts.
Tanks.

Alexa