Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

Got a job tomorrow to weld little caster type wheels to the back end of a boat trailer. I believe they are intended to roll the tail of the trailer rather than drag and scrape it in out of driveways and stuff like that. The customer thinks the casters are mounted to stainless bases. Don't know the alloy.

Sounds like a job for mobile TIG. but am not sure what rod to use. I have some 308/308L in 1/16th. Does anyone know what to do as far as the rod goes, and of course any other suggestions are totally welcome?

Thanks,
Nils
Mobile welding Services
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Stainless to mild is normally 309, Here
is a link i found.

http://www.kei-ind.com/welding-wire.php

Mick
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Mick is right 309 is what I always knew to use for stainless to mild. Unless your customer bought some food grade casters they are probably galvanized. One way to tell is to ask how much he paid for them. If it sounds kinda cheap or about normal for a caster than it would be galvanized but if he says something like $40 each for a little 3" wheel caster then there is a chance he found stainless casters. Good luck.
Be the monkey....
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Or put a magnet on it, the ss will not be magnetic or only ver slightly. meaning the magnet may attach but will pull away very easily.

Mick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Good points.

When you see them, you'll know. Stainless will have a consistant color and texture. Hot-dip galvanized will have an uneven surface, dull matte finish, and rounded edges (where stainless will have sharp square edges). Electro-galvanized will have a surface appearance that'l remind you of frost on a windowpane.

The magnet is the best test; Galvanized will be as strongly magnetic as any other piece of mild steel.

If it's SS, 309/309L/309LSi are the rods of choice. If it's galvanized, you can MIG it, but I'd grind the weld zone, and avoid the smoke. If you TIG galvanized, you need to grind very clean, not only the weld area, but a good 3/8" back from it on both sides of the castor's attaching face.

Steve S